1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone watching American Idol (USA)?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Patentleathershoes, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I know. I was lucky enough to have it. We learned sheet music young, I was in orchestra in 4th grade and band in 6th. People don't realize that the national endowment for the arts is not just whether or not to fund controversial artists...it helps children learn music and be exposed to art too.

My husband went to a big school that only had "music appreciation" and he always said his life would have been so different if they had been taught. they had plays, theater, but no musical instruments, etc. It was always the same kids in the musicals because they were naturally figted or their parents had made a point to teach. after budget cuts were made. It amazes him, while we watch the show how i can pick up a flat or a sharp note right away. He is not tone deaf, but just can't translate the tones.

2. Patentleathershoes

PS He was relaly bad at math class. A teacher gave him a gift of a D in calculus so he could get his degree. He did great in other subjects, but could not do the advnaced math.

3. I am not quite sure how the math and music correlate(sp) although I can see the theory. I never had any musical education(catholic school) and I suck at music and math(higher math anyway) The only 'd' I ever got in school was in my senior year in math.
    But my children have always had music lessons(private) and are all quite talented in their on way. Oldest daughter in voice and singing, second oldest is pursuing music and is in a band, she sings, plays drums, percussions, keyboard, synth, and is learning bass and mixing(but she cannot do math to save her life). Youngest daughter plays drums and guitar and loves math, and my son who is only 11 has an awesome voice and no fear. He is great at math.

4. Patentleathershoes

To read and more so to interpret sheet music into music, you need to understand fractions. Or rather it teaches you fractions. Measures are broken up in 4 beats, 6 beats, etc and so forth per measure. And it is indicated by a fraction at the beginning of the bar staff. If kids learn this and get a "Feel for" and are able to "read" the sheet music, and "speak it" (play it, sing it, etc) correctly, then that is how they get a basis for understanding theories of math, and not just memorized theoroms.

That is how someone can read a sheet of music, and someone on the other side of the world can read it, and they can record themselves, adn then the recordings can be meshed together, and you would not know they hadn't recorded in the same room at the same time

(of course barring music whic is improvised)

Conductors help to tell you when to start and help keep it clean, and also the acoustics are confusing. when a band is set up orchestra style, you may be playing the right notes and counting them out correctly, as each note lasts a certain fraction of the "time" in the measure, but you "hear" the people sitting on the other side with a slight delay at times. It is a matter of how sound travels. To a GIANT orchestra, while yo play it sounds like a mess, but if you are in the audience it sounds perfect with no delay. It is human nature and musical ear to want to "keep with eachother" and the conductor is there to provide your trust and to guide you.

5. Patentleathershoes

I am not a genius at math, but after I was introduced to sheet music and really grasped it, I got more comfortable with it and improved. I was never in danger of winning a scholarship, that is for sure. But for me a lot of it had to do with number dyslexia in abstract math versus "understanding". It may help more with proportions and fractions than it does with the abstract, but i do not really know. Obviously, every individual is different and is affected in different ways. (and some people are poor test takers or have had a really bad experience with a teacher too) My cousins who are musical are generally good at math, but the ones who were introduced to sheet music at a young age by their own interest are a bit better or more patient with it than the ones who just learned "by ear" or "being shown". Those cousins couldn't be bothered with classroom environment math. it would be the least thing they wanted to do with their lives and didn't care to apply themselves to it

well, so i guess there really is no hard and fast rule, but schools that don't have music have lower scores in math overall than those that do i have heard...

6. Patentleathershoes

next week its the top twelve.

Glad this is the only reality type of show that i am sucked into.

7. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

I love the song Bo sang last night! :wub:

8. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

After <s>suffering</s> listening to Mikayla *murdering* 'Somewhere', I have serious concerns about the level of hearing over there in the US!!! ;-) I couldn't believe that she made it through!

9. Patentleathershoes

I think people just vote for their favorites sometime regardless of the actual performance. I missed the girls this week so I didn't see it. I had to sing that song once when i was in the theater and can attest that it may sound like a simple song but it is easily murderable.

10. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

<i> I missed the girls this week so I didn't see it. </I>

You don't know just how lucky you are!!!

11. Patentleathershoes

LOL Margaret I can just imagine.

I will see what happens this week.

12. I cringed for poor Mikayla when she sang that song. But the other two that were booted were just as bad and not nearly as entertaining..lol.

Anwar is still my favorite:USETHUMBUP:

13. It is definitely a guy's game this year!! A real good mix of interesting guys with different styles...makes it fun to watch every week!