1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assistance With Dating this Dress - 30s or 40s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by QVintage, Jan 23, 2020.

1. QVintage

QVintage Registered Guest

Hello all!

I would love your help dating this piece. At first glance, I thought "well, this is clearly 40s," but now, I'm not so sure.

There is no metal zip, closes with hook/eyes and buttons only.

I've included many photos and a shot of the seams.

I'm working so hard at improving my dating skills, but I know the real secret is time and experience. I'd love also please any dating resources/books you've found helpful.
    unnamed-4.jpg unnamed-1.jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-3.jpg
    I so appreciate your time and input. Thank you.

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Does it have shoulder pads? The hem seems very wide, where would the skirt fall on a person of average height? Interesting dress.
    Marian

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Could be late 1930s. Love to see it on a real person or dress form. And know the length. I like the way the skirt is styled. Material looks like a rayon crepe or silk crepe.

4. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Any chance that it is on your mannequin backwards? It looks like it could be the case, if the draped section is intended to be more like a peplum/bustle. It does look circa late 1940s, to me, especially is the draped section is meant to be at the back.

5. QVintage

Hey here it is on me, it's pretty long and I'm 6 feet tall! (Ignore my pretentious expression!) unnamed-6.jpg I'd also love to hear if yall think it's on backwards, as I struggled with that decision myself. Only reason I did place the buttons in front was because on what I'm wearing as the back, there's a line across the middle of the upper back (or chest, if backwards) that looked out of place.

Thank you all so much!

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  6. QVintage

Thank you so much for your response -- I posted another picture of me actually wearing it in this thread, I'd so appreciate your input on the "is this backward or not" vote -- I too struggled with that.

vivavintageclothing likes this.
  7. QVintage

Hi there, thank you for your help. There are no shoulder pads, and on me (6 feet) the skirt falls below the knee, mid-calf. On a more normal sized woman (lol) it would maybe be at or close to ankle length.

8. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The longer skirt length and side seam buttons would suggest 30s.

9. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

Just a thought: anyone see late teens/Edwardian, but hemmed shorter?

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I have to say it looks like the buttons and bustle should be at the back to me too, in which case the dress is c. 1948ish

QVintage likes this.
  11. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

I agree with Jonathon Late 40's. Bustle should be in back.

12. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

It looks great on you!

13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd put the buttons and bustle-like thing in the back too. Happened to me with a 30s dress... wore it back to front because I thought that the buttons should go in the front. Wore it to work like that :hysterical:.

14. QVintage

Thank you so much! Personally I think it looks fun both ways but obviously don't want to misrepresent it on a professional level. I think the general consensus is that I have it on backward. So appreciate the input!

15. QVintage

Thank you, Susan! Being in front of the camera isn't comfortable for me so I'm trying!

16. QVintage

Thank you for your input!

Lady Scarletts likes this.
  17. QVintage

Thank you, Jonathan. It seems as though 40s is the consensus here, as it the reversal. I so appreciate it!