Bakelite Button Bracelet

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Dec 14, 2017.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

I own many books on bakelite and mostly, I will never be able to afford most things in these books unless I luck out at estate or thrift or garage.

These however, from 'The Bakelite Jewelry Book' (Corinne Davison and Ginny Redington Dawes), I might be able to make from Bakelite buttons!!!

IMG_1275.JPG

I am going to keep adding buttons to mine. As I find them. I can afford only $20 per button so I search high and low.

IMG_1276.JPG

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage Trade Member

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

4. lindapoirier

My kitchen table. Yellow "ice cube" Formica. I had the hutch and when I had my new home party, one of my clients said she had the matching table. She gave it to me!

IMG_1112.JPG

Those black chair cushion were given to me by my best friend. It took years to find chairs for them and one day after a yard sale they were in a pile of free stuff!

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

5. poppysvintageclothing

6. lindapoirier

IMG_1369.JPG

I still have 6 more buttons coming to add! I had 2 pairs of cherry easrrings so I turn a pair into buttons by adding eyes instead of earring screws.

7. lindapoirier

I have three more buttons to arrive. I found nine buttons left too much bracelet showing. 3 more should be perfect, fruits and vegetables sprouting from my wrist!!

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1395.JPG

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  8. lindapoirier

IMG_1396.JPG

As one of eleven children who grew up on a farm it wasn't outrageous for a 10 year old girl to scrub the kitchen floor with a rag and a bucket of bleach suds without gloves. My hands always shock me when I see them in photos.

9. amandainvermont

amandainvermont Trade Member

Wow. I want a tour of your house and would like to see ALL your collections!

10. lindapoirier

Hahaha! My best friend is always telling me that he waits until I take on another interest. He loves to see my passion.

Mostly, I would love to have a Philadelphia Bakelite bracelet BUT I know I will never be able to afford one unless I find one at a sale. So, this is the next best thing for me.

I am lucky to be a farmer's daughter who's father happen to be a carpenter, so there is nothing I am ever afraid to attempt.

I reparged my foundation last summer. No one else but me working a few hours every day. That grey wood lined up is from our barn on the farm where I grew up!

IMG_1398.JPG

I literally had to rebuild the corner with cement and forms.

IMG_1399.JPG

I painted the foundation white!

IMG_1400.JPG

I bought the metal pergola ( on sale ) at Lowe's. I wanted chartreuse and coral for the deck. It took twice as long to build then stated because I was alone ( it didn't occur to me that I would need help). Eventually, I put the sides together on the ground and raised them from there. I left a review at Lowe's because so many people were "dis"ing it. I said that one woman did it by herself and that life is WHAT YOU MAKE IT!!!!

IMG_1401.JPG

I got this screen at a yard sale for $20. It had padded fabric on one side and was burgundy. I cleaned it up and bought that great green paint!

IMG_1402.JPG

Edit. I thought, "How difficult could it be to parge?" It was INCREDIBLY difficult. Oh well, live and learn.

IMG_1403.JPG

With vintage in mind, those are Russell Woodard spun aluminum chairs ( $20 ) and a Redwood picnic table with benches ($5 ). Yes, I painted it!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  11. Midge

Midge Trade Member

You are fabulous - honestly! That deck looks fantastic, and so does your bakelite button bracelet. I wish I had more time to do things, it's not that I lack ideas...

12. poppysvintageclothing

13. amandainvermont

amandainvermont Trade Member

I was wondering about "parging" as well! "How difficult could it be to parge?" Beats me! It all looks difficult to me!

14. lindapoirier

It isn't something I suspect a lot of people know how or try to do. When I was doing it I spoke to a couple of contractors about it and I always told them what I told you. "I didn't think it would be difficult." To which, they all added, "Linda it ain't easy." Or some variation of that line. I think I impressed them with those same photos. The test, however, will be seeing how my job weathers winter and all the elements to follow.

Anyhow, I am wearing my unfinished bracelet tonight. With this wicker necklace. I got it about 8 years ago. I always thought it to be modern but I am curious what your opinions are on it's age?

IMG_1406.JPG

15. lindapoirier

Finally finished. I found a 10K bracelet in my gold stash so I realigned everything.

IMG_1424.JPG

Reassembled.

IMG_1426.JPG

Added that Czech Republic (modern) glass fly on a lobster clasp(so I can move it about). Who's never seen a fly about fruits snd vegetables?!

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

16. Midge

Midge Trade Member

17. lindapoirier

Thanks. I am very happy about the results.

Something I have been thinking about is that I have never seen a piece of vintage clothing with these types of buttons. So, has anyone else ever seen a garment with these buttons? Any photos of any?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  18. poppysvintageclothing

19. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Oh Lord - I wish I had known about this earlier! I had a bunch of those buttons that I sold at Brimfield this summer.

20. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix Trade Member

Linda,

WOW on everything. I am impressed with your hard work and design ideas. :clapping:

The bug looks like it might be a cicada, and not a fly. Pretty cool.