1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Barguzine" stamp on fur pelts

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vivala, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Vivala

Vivala Registered Guest

Any fur mavens know about older sable import/export IDs?

I picked up a yummy vintage sable coat a while back, with the intention of having in repaired (tear under collar fold). Life intervened. . . got distracted for a few months, and I just now plucked it from my closet to look at it again. In addition to the collar, a seam in the lining was a bit unstitched and I started to snoop around in there. The pelts are stamped "UNITED'S BARGUZINE COLOR" - or at least that's what I make it out to read. Def sable, but not confident that it's Barguzin (or even Russian, given that the stamp's in English). I love it anyway! Rich, warm browns, no silver.

sable-barg-stamp.png sable-barg-1.png sable-barg-2.png

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

I’m sorry for the delay. It is Russian sable that was dyed to look like Barguzin and when advertised it would have likely been mistaken for Russian sable from the Barguzin valley.

Vivala and lkranieri like this.
  3. Vivala

Vivala Registered Guest

Thank so much for that info... better news than I expected (not that I'd throw a Canadian sable out of bed for eating crackers)! It's interesting how the preference for certain colors has changed over the decades. To me, Barguzin conjures up images of cool browns and desirable "silvers". I once had a '50s sable that was tip dyed a very deep, reddish tone. I sense that this coat is from the late '60s to '70s... small shoulders, full length sleeves, slightly flared, and long-ish at 45".