1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beautiful black lace bra - Need help dating please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by zannew, Mar 18, 2013.

1. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

Hello,

I wondered if you could help me date this beautiful black lace bra. It has small shell buttons on the side. (middle one is missing) What is the term for this type of bra? I love it!

DSC_0499 (2).JPG DSC_0497 (2).JPG DSC_0495 (2).JPG

Attached Files:

2. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Gosh that's a beautiful piece! I would go 1930s on this one, lets see what the rest of the team think. I would call this a bust bodice rather than a bra too. :)

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'm not sure - I'm seeing the top half of a 60/70's nightdress here. I have a very similar one with a chiffon skirt attached. The fastening looks like an opened seam to me.

4. sewingmachinegirl

Melanie you might be onto something here with the alteration idea- but perhaps it originally was a lace gown that has been altered? I still think 30's myself- but is the lace rayon or cotton? or is it nylon?

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree we could do with some more information on the lace, a better close up and fabric info please? perhaps of the seams/sewing too. Is the tiny trim original?
    I can see the lace being earlier, maybe it was altered in the 70's into a crop top? (thinking of the Liza's shorts here, and that Taxi Driver image again!)

6. Yes, I can see a more modern top too, rather than an early bra - I think that examination of the construction and identifying the materials will help.

It's an unusual piece: the fabric looks similar to '30s silk laces, the bodice style could be '30s too but the wide shoulder straps with the strap underneath: can you tell us what that is made of, please? Is it elastic or ribbon?

I wonder if it's an upcycled '30s dress, trimmed in lace and altered fairly recently ('70s-more modern). It reminds of of styles I saw in the early '90s.

7. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

I found a small tag - it's made of that stiff material that's similar to cheese cloth. All I can read are the words "lot" and "Size". It seems these tags are generally in older garments. Any thought?

Attached Files:

8. hollyfrocks

hollyfrocks Registered Guest

I've seen many tags like that on 70's clothing.

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I don't think I've had a label sewn in like that on a pre-50's garment, and going back earlier towards 30's they tend to be machine stitched all the way around. The label looks well worn because it's been washed a lot. Originally it would have had a coating on both sides, this wears off and you are left with the fibrous inner.

10. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

Hmmm.... well, it's a mystery garment. What confuses me are the buttons on the side. They are old - shell, I believe. How common was it to have closures on the side from 1950 - 1980? Or, do you think someone added the button holes and buttons to replicate an older garment?

11. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I know I have seen gauzy tags like that in 40s clothing. I am in the 30s camp on this.

12. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I think it looks like an older nightgown top. Can you tell if there used to be a skirt portion attached to it?

13. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

No, I see no evidence of that.

14. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I see 30s too. Maybe the top to a risque "bra" and tap panties set?

15. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I am thinking along the lines of what Susan said, or maybe part of a sleep set?
    Here is a photo of an early 40s Luxite sleep set I sold ages ago:
    luxite.jpg

16. sewingmachinegirl

I agree MS , and I am still in the 30s camp on this- and I have had the same kind of 'lot' label in 40s clothing myself.

17. This is an interesting piece and as mentioned before, can you please tell us what that is made of? Are the straps under the sleeves elastic or ribbon?

MOP buttons came back in the '90s plus it's easy enough for any buttons to be put on any item, so despite it's '30s style I'd still like to know about the materials, because a synthetic lace or trim will count it out of an early date.

18. Is that a rose applique in the center?

19. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

I'm with Gayle I see 30s but I agree with Nicole that the type of lace is important.
    Melody

20. zannew

zannew Registered Guest

Nicole, are you asking if there is elastic or ribbon in the center of the straps? There isn't any elastic or ribbon on it anywhere. The lace , when pulled, can stretch a little bit though.

Amber, yes it is a satin rose applique.