1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bellciano New York Paris

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by yaelvintage, Nov 14, 2014.

1. yaelvintage

yaelvintage Registered Guest

Hi All!

I have been searching for some information on the label Bellciano New York Paris. I know it was sold at Addis Co. in Syracuse, NY and that the label existed from the 1940s thru to the 1960s but I am coming up blank on any other info about the designer/s or manufacturer. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

There are some articles in the NY Times archives ( I don't have a subscription) They date from 1947 - 1962, and there is a mention of the late Robert Bellsey, president. From what I have seen for sale online, the brand sold around the country at better department stores. I had one of their coats a while ago - very nice quality.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I only found references to one designer who worked for Bellciano; here are those references and some other snippets:

--The 1940 US census records 48-year-old (born April 1891) David Bellsey in Manhattan in New York. It notes he was born in Russia and his occupation was manufacturer of cloaks and suits. His WWII draft registration states he was born in Bialystock Russia and his employer was Dave Bellsey Co. Inc. at 512 7th Avenue. He died in Miami Beach, FL in 1968.

-- A 1951 article noted: "Among these is Robert (Note: Robert was the son of David) Bellsey, maker of Bellciano coats and suits."

-- A 1952 ad states: "...transplanted to Syracuse by Bellciano, master designer, whose incomparable coats and suits..."

-- From a 1953 article: "His Bellciette is a coat for small women, 5'5" or under."

-- A mid-1954 article noted that "...(Dave) Bellsley(sic) is launching a collection of co-ordinated separates under the name of Belliciano, Inc." and "...the collection, much of which was shown in the Bellciette size which is scaled for ladies of the commentator's size" and "Bellsley (sic) stresses understated elegance, with fine workmanship and fabrics, such as the tweeds woven especially for this house, in England."

-- From a 1954 article: "...the simplicity of the Bellciano collection, designed by Joset Walker."

--From a 1954 article: "Dave Bellsey's collection of coats and suits, with two labels, Bellciano for misses sizes and Bellciette for the five-five and under figure..."

-- From a 1954 ad: "Bellciano, by Mr. Robert Bellsey"

-- From a 1954 Sports Illustrated: "...jockey shirts by Joset Walker of Bellciano..."

-- Another 1954 article: "...Robert Bellsey, president of Bellciano and Bellcette (sic)..."

-- HERE are some patents for Dave Bellsey coats.

4. I also found a 1951 ad that says

"Paquin designs for Bellciano
    this superb styled-in-Paris, made-in-America greatcoat of Forstmann wool Chulana fleece."

$165.00.

lkranieri likes this.
  5. A few more:
    - from a 1951 article: "Donald Norris is one of the designers for this firm."
    - a 1955 ad shows a coat and a suit, "Jacques Heim original suit made for Bellciano in a colorful Parisian tweed." $119.
    - I also found a 1956 reference to silk printed separates by "Leo DeCrenza of Bellciano."

It seems like by the mid 1940s the label was carried in several fine stores across the country, but did get its start at Addis, and Addis often had exclusive designs. It does appear that Joset Walker designed a great deal of the collections during the 1950s.

lkranieri likes this.