1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bellestone alligator purse question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by VintageMelinda, Mar 4, 2011.

1. VintageMelinda

VintageMelinda Registered Guest

Hello! I just purchased a gorgeous 1960's Bellestone alligator bag (with all three original accessories!), and I have a question. Would the inner lining be real leather, too? It's not satin, but I was curious if it would be leather or vinyl (doesn't seem likely, but I thought I'd ask).

Either way, I love the bag. It looks brand new, not even any wear on the handle!

Thank you!
    Melinda

2. joules

joules VFG Member

From the photo, it appears to be vinyl, Melinda. It could be either leather or vinyl; you will encounter both in these sorts of bags, depending on the maker. Can you tell by the touch?

It's so neat when the original accessories are still with the bag!

3. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

Hmmm. I'm doing to differ and guess it's leather by the way it shows texture in the creases at the folds on the sides. But it's hard to say with the photos. When I'm unsure, I find a little out of the way spot and scratch it gently, with a fingernail or pin, just along the surface. Leather will keep the scratch, and vinyl will not.

4. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

My Bellestone gator bags have leather linings. Do the scratch test to be sure. Also if you have a good nose, leather & vinyl have a different smell.

5. joules

joules VFG Member

Well, there you have it, as I've not been so lucky to find a Bellestone gator bag-yet!
    It's better if it's leather, of course.

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That's my sense, too.

The Bellestone (or any) alligator bags I've found have always been leather lined.

But...as you say it's 60s, and haven't posted a pic of the exterior of the purse, let me suggest another possibility. In the early 60s (I can't remember the exact reason, whether it had to do with alligators being endangered at the time, or that exotic skins had just become so much pricier to use), but many leading purse manufacturers switched from using alligator and lizard for their bags to embossed leather with a vinyl interior.

If the exterior of the purse is alligator-embossed leather, vs alligator itself, it would be much more likely that the lining is vinyl.

7. VintageMelinda

VintageMelinda Registered Guest

Here's a pic of the exterior. Thanks to all for your help!

8. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Oh, that's lovely!

And looks like the real deal to me, so I'd wager it's leather inside.

Aside from Eileen's "scratch test" the other thing you could do if you're looking to make absolutely certain is try to find anywhere where you can see the backing to the leather (inside the pockets, for instance)--whether it's suede or fabric.

9. Oh what a gorgeous purse. Great find.:clapping:

10. joules

joules VFG Member

11. I sold a Bellestone alligator bag a while back and it was lined in leather~ They are beautiful and well crafted bags. Yours is a beauty~

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member