1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Berkliff Undergarment Corporation

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Becky, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Becky

Becky Registered Guest

Does anyone have any information about the Berkliff Corp?
    I'm looking for information about their labels and when they when out of business.
    I have a lovely peignoir set that I'm trying to date.
    I would really appreciate any and all information you might have!
    Thank you!

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Please post a picture of the label and of the garment.

3. Becky

Becky Registered Guest

The RN # is 15325 20200218_081920.jpg 20200218_082310.jpg

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thus far I discovered that Lou Berkley was the head (founder?) of Berkliff Undergarment Corp, apparently until he died in 1976. The first references I found to that company were from around 1931. Around the 1960's they seem to have been involved in a few lawsuits and while I only skimmed them, I came away with a sense that money was tight--or so Lou claimed. The last appearance I found of the name Berkliff Undergarment was in a 1964 edition of Poor's Register of Corporations, Directors and Executives, United States and Canada, although they may very well have existed after that time.

There is, however, a Berkliff Corporation that manufactures ladies lingerie, etc., so I strongly suspect it is/was related to Berkliff Undergarment Corp. A 1993 newspaper article noted: "In business since the 1930s, Berkliff Corporation...manufactures daywear, sleepwear, loungewear, and activewear for nationally-recognized clothing companies."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. Becky

Becky Registered Guest

Thank you!