1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to clean vinyl/plastic on 50s shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by EndlessAlley, Oct 9, 2012.

1. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

I seldom find cool older shoes, so it was a treat to find these!
    ~Was wondering if there are any tricks to getting the cloudiness/yellowy look out of the the plastic/vinyl?
    ~On listing descriptions sellers seem to use plastic and vinyl interchangeably. Is it actually one or the other?
    Finally...
    ~Everything I've read and looked at leads me to believe shoes are from the 50s. True?
    Thank you! :sunshine:

VFG1.jpg VFG2.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Yes they are 1950's and the diamante buckles are a nice touch, I haven't found anything yet for lightening yellowed plastic - to my knowledge it's a chemical change and can't be reversed, all you can do is give them a wipe over with a damp cloth to remove surface dirt. I would caution against using any cleaners with chemicals as I have know this to turn clear plastics white or opaque. I know the yellowed plastic doesn't look great in photographs, but they tend to blend in well with the skintone when worn.

EndlessAlley likes this.
  3. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Good point Melanie! And thank you for confirming they're 50s.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

You're welcome, yours don't look very yellowed actually, more grey - you could just call it smoked vinyl.

EndlessAlley likes this.
  5. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Melanie, I noticed you used plastic in your first post and vinyl in the second, so does this mean the two terms are interchangeable?

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Vinyl is a type of flexible plastic so yes, they can be interchanged, vinyl is just more specific.

EndlessAlley likes this.
  7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Plastic is a 'genus' or 'family' name. All vinyls are plastic, but not all plastics are vinyl. The shoes are made of leather and plastic, but they use vinyl for the uppers and lucite for the heels. The yellowing was caused by exposure to sun and there is nothing you can do about it. However, I use windex and a Q-tip on my transparent vinyl shoes (windex is an ammonia based solvent and is used by conservators to clean vinyl)

EndlessAlley likes this.
  8. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Thank you both for clarifying terms for me... and thank you for the cleaning tip, Jonathan.

9. Tabbyannabel

Tabbyannabel Registered Guest

Alice,
    Just wanted to say I love those shoes!

EndlessAlley likes this.
  10. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Thank you! They'll be a fun addition to my shop.

11. Tabbyannabel

They'd be a fun addition to my feet! :USING:

12. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Shoes are 5 1/2 m, but I'm a 6m and I think they're really closer to a size 5 ...
    so Cinderella, can you wear a size 5? :drinking2:

13. Tabbyannabel

Are you talking a 5 UK or a 5 USA? ';)

14. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

sorry, forgot how international this group is....:duh2: tiny USA 5 (still hoping)

15. Tabbyannabel

Jiminy cricket, my foot hasn't been that tiny since grade school! :( Oh well.

16. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Oh, too funny! Thanks for starting out my day with a good laugh.... :hysterical:

17. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Killer shoes, Alice! And I love DeLiso shoes.... I "used" to wear a size 5 1/2 shoe for many decades, but I've been afflicted with advanced-age "spreading" throughout and now am a 6 to 6 1/2....