1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BETTE of Newcastle-upon-Tyne..I purchased this stunning item and looking for any information.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melanie Jane Louise, Aug 14, 2021.

1. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The Newcastle Journal

Melanie Jane Louise likes this.
  2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Last night I very quickly tried to find an online copy of the 1950 Kelly's directory, too, but without success. If I have time today I will try again to find it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    GemGem and Melanie Jane Louise like this.
  3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

It would be wonderful if you could see the one from 1929 or those in the 30s. I think this jacket is 30s

Melanie Jane Louise and GemGem like this.
  4. Vintagiality

I did find a business that was dissolved in 1917 called Bette Jocille which was a partnership of two women, Betty Goldberg and Sarah Joseph. I wonder if Betty then started her own and used the name Bette. I know it’s a stretch.
    4C150C0F-A588-48CE-8B90-FA01E552BD40.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  5. Such a lovely jacket and very wearable for today! Great find!

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

London is a long way from Newcastle!

7. Vintagiality

Yes, that’s why I said it was a stretch but maybe Betty moved :)

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Well, this may be another stretch, but the latest Kelly's directory I found for either 6 Ridley Place (see "South Side" near the bottom of that column) or 3 Windsor Cres(cent?) was from 1921. Neither street list mentioned Bette's Newcastle Ltd. business, but the Ridley Place listings were largely dressmakers, milliners, etc. Of note to me was that the business owner at 6 Ridley Place was dressmaker Miss Jane Eliz(abet)h Anderson...and Bette is, I believe, a nickname for Elizabeth. As I said...maybe another stretch.

BetteOfNewcastleRidleyPl1921.jpg BetteOfNewcastleRidleyPl1921Clip.jpg

BetteOfNewcastleWindsorCresc1921.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  9. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Gosh I think that is spot on! Well done for such hard sleuthing!!!

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thanks, but I wish I had your confidence in the find. I am not entirely convinced it was our Bette (Newcastle) Ltd.

11. Vintagiality

I think it’s far less of a stretch than mine! I did at one point look for Elizabeths who were dressmakers or tailors in the 1916 directory since I also thought that could be her name but there were a surprisingly high number of them. Yours at the same address would be almost too much of a coincidence. Maybe later she actually registered a company. If only we can see one of those later directories…

12. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Very common for an Elizabeth to be called Bette around that time. And at the same address. I agree, too much of a coincidence!

13. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

What an interesting thread - vintage sleuths to be commended. And lovely jacket. I'd say 30s/late 30s?

Melanie Jane Louise likes this.
  14. Melanie Jane Louise

Melanie Jane Louise Registered Guest

I would like to say a Massive THANK YOU to everyone who has messaged and researched into the history of my beautiful jacket,you all are absolutely amazing. This forum is now my happy place I'm very overwhelmed with everyone's knowledge and enthusiasm..xx

Vintagiality, Midge, GemGem and 2 others like this.