1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bicycle, Bicycle...I Have A Bicycle Dress Question?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ClubVintage, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

Look at this cute bicycle themed dress from the 1970's, isn't she darling?

She belongs to a friend of mine so I am trying to gather some info on the label as I have never seen it before.

The dress is done in a print consisting of a red background covered with white bicycles. There is a white bib bodice insert with an embroidered blue bicycle on a collar point.

The label is Denise Are Here.....anyone have any info on this brand?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cat :cats:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I got only part way through one newspaper database when I saw an article about the founder, so I stopped looking, but while I was looking I saw ads from 1968-1974 and most seemed to be for junior dresses.

A 1968 ad noted that Denise are Here dresses were designed in California and a 1972 ad noted that: "Pasadenans who buy clothes labeled 'Denise are Here,' produced in California, will be interested to know that they were exhibited last month in Paris at a Pret-a-Porter (ready to wear) show."

and the article with the information about the founder:

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I forgot to add that I think that dress is adorable!

4. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

adorable!!! "denise are here"= "I are Weasel!"

Ang

5. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

Wow Lynne, as always you need to be crowned super searcher! :adore:

The time frame of 1968-1974 fits with the age of the other dresses my friend acquired according to all the research found. Thanks so much. :USETHUMBUP:

I agree with both of you, the dress is just too adorable.

6. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

great dress, Cat!! my first thought was also 70s; that article is great!!

8. I've seen a dress with the label too - it was also early '70s but not as adorable as yours :wub:

Nicole

9. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Looks early 70s to me. I wonder if the bicycle theme might be playing off the success of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". (1969)
    Remember the famous bicylce scene and the popular song "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head" that was associated with it?

10. Reminds me of the Famolare logo~

[​IMG]

That's a darling dress!