1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIPOC historical dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Delaney, May 18, 2022.

1. Delaney

Delaney Registered Guest

Hello, new friends!

I have an odd need. I am a theatrical lighting designer and like to render my designs using human figures in period dress for whatever fits the show. I am trying to do what I can to help diversify my figures and would like some recommendations for BIPOC historians and/or reenactors who have full body images that I could include in my renderings.
    I have been looking through the historical costumers that I already follow, #reenactorsofcolor on instagram, and BIPOC Costumers on Facebook.

I am mainly finding difficulty with turn of the century (Meet me in St Luis and Newsies), 1500s, and medieval (which I know is broad)

I refuse to render every show with a monochrome cast and would love to have some input from those who specialize in Historical Fashion.

Attached is a rendering example from a recent show

Thank you all so much for even reading this!

Delaney

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

We also have a member, Petra Slinkard, who is the director of Curatorial Affairs at the Peabody Essex Museum. I have not been to the PEM, but had the pleasure of seeing the Making Mainbocher exhibit at the Chicago History Museum in 2019. Petra was the curator.

You might consider messaging her on Instagram

CatsLikeUs and denisebrain like this.
  4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

First, kudos to you for trying to do this! It's very hard to find period sources for images of BIPOC in some eras.

This site has some good stuff:
    https://medievalpoc.tumblr.com/

poisson_rouge and denisebrain like this.
  5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Have you looked into Cheyney McKnight's historical research?

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Chris, so good to see your patent leather shoes again! :)

I got a message that the OP, @Delaney is out of the office until July 20, so she may not see your suggestion until then.

7. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Thanks. It will be here for future reference

denisebrain likes this.
  8. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Off the top of my head, I have nothing to offer, but I will put my period thinking cap on!

denisebrain likes this.
  9. Delaney

Delaney Registered Guest

Oh my goodness, thank you for the name. I recognize her from somewhere...maybe a Bernadette Banner video? She certainly has some beautiful work.

Thanks for the suggestion

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  10. Delaney

Delaney Registered Guest

This link sent me on a journey! I love all of this, where was this when I was in grad school doing research projects?
    Unfortunately the images available on this site won't serve me very well as stage figures. I do have several books to add to my reading list, tho. Solid

pastperfect2 likes this.
  11. Vintagebob

Vintagebob Registered Guest

Hello Delaney, it's great to hear that you're actively seeking to diversify your figures and include BIPOC historians and reenactors in your renderings. Here are a few recommendations for resources you could check out:

1. The Black Dress History Instagram account (@blackdresshistory) is run by a historian and writer who shares photos and information about the history of Black fashion.

2. The Instagram account for the African American Living History Museum (@aalmuseum) shares photos of historical reenactors portraying Black figures throughout history.

3. The Black Cowboy Association (@blackcowboyassociation) has photos of modern-day Black cowboys and cowgirls, as well as information about the history of Black cowboys in the American West.

4. The National Museum of African American History and Culture (@nmaahc) has an extensive collection of photographs and other materials related to Black history and culture that could serve as inspiration for your renderings.

5. For medieval and 1500s period dress, you could check out the Instagram account for the Black Death reenactment group (@blackdeathinc) which portrays people of color during the medieval period.