1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Tiered Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by foofoogal, Jul 14, 2017.

1. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Would love some help with this tiered dress.

1940s? Early 1950s? Crown brand metal zipper.

I do not think I have ever seen a zipper right in the middle of the back of a dress.

Was this possibly popular for a short time? Ok, see about zippers from the resource.

Thanks in advance. No labels except a number 12. I assume vintage size 12 not a modern.
    Lightened to show design.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Pinkie

Pinkie Registered Guest

Very cute dress! I'm not an expert yet but this dress looks 50s to me. The back zipper wasent introduced until the 50s I think, maybe someone else will jump in.

3. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Nice! I would've said late 50s, and definitely size 12 is not the same as today's 12!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing early to mid 50s with this one. Lovely dress! I have had dresses with that sort of zipper from time to time.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I am also thinking earlier in the 1950s decade.

6. Yes, I've seen many centre back zippers too. Most often in late '40s dresses but I agree with early '50s for this one.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I have just recently bought a 50s summer dress with a similar zipper placement - center back, but not going through to the neckline.

8. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

9. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

Solid colors were a popular choice in the 1950s for dresses like this. I agree with early 1950s.