1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bodice style question possible 40s to 50s dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LousyLoversVintage, May 31, 2022.

1. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

Hello I need some help with terminology on this bodice and feel free to correct me on the dating.

This looks late 40s early 50s my opinion

Sheer Navy gingham fabric
    Matching fabric belt
    Mid calf
    gored skirt
    Side zipper metal

Homesewn

The bodice and bust styling is what I am having trouble with what is it called what is the style? Thank you for looking! And any help you can provide

Also crinoline or no, at first my instinct was no but they I see 6 gores and can't help myself hehe

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

50s, I think. If that lower bit of fabric ended under the bust, I'd call it a shelf bust - but it seems to come up a bit higher. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

LousyLoversVintage likes this.
  3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I wonder if you could find something similar in dress patterns from the late 40's, early 50's. They sometimes have succint descriptions on the back.
    Marian

4. LousyLoversVintage

Maybe I don't have it pulled down enough. I'll have to try again later . It is very small in the waist and hard to put on the mannequin. I'll have to look for some patterns to maybe find a term.

5. LousyLoversVintage

I'm going to do a little online searching

6. Marian, that is a great suggestion. I used to do that all the time before the internet. Plus vintage magazines and catalogs