1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonwit Teller Gown -- 1950s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TinyBee, Mar 5, 2024.

1. TinyBee

TinyBee Registered Guest

Hi all,

I'm having trouble dating this lovely gown. The only tag is a Bonwit Teller tag, and since it has 'Boston' on the tag, I believe it must be from after 1947, as that's when the Boston store opened. The style feels later, but the construction feels very 1950s? It has a side metal zipper (Talon). The lining seems synthetic, the outer /may/ be silk chiffon but may also be synthetic.

I'd appreciate any help with dating the piece, and any pointers toward similar items / how to price, as I'm struggling to find anything similar!

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I'm not the best person for dating, but I'm probably the only one who was a teen-ager in the fifties.
    The dresses I had were strapless and fitted at the waist with full skirts of lace or net.
    The Bonwit Teller label indicates a better than average garment and the dress is much more sophisticated than mine.

TinyBee likes this.
  3. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

What a lovely gown! The colors are dreamy. What material is the rosette and trim detail made of? Is it beaded? I can't tell.
    By the way it drapes, it appears to be a silk chiffon with a rayon or acetate lining.
    Late 1940s to early 1950s is what I'm thinking.

Would you grant us permission to add this label to our Label Resource?

TinyBee and GemGem like this.
  4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Marsha, your response was very helpful for me to see how mid-fifites designs had changed from late 40s to early fifties. Thank you. C

TinyBee and GemGem like this.
  5. TinyBee

TinyBee Registered Guest

I apologize for the delay in response. Yes, please feel free to add to the Label Resource!

It seems to be entirely synthetic. I would say the lining is probably acetate. The chiffon /could/ be silk, but I'm not sure? The rosettes and the bodice are made with tiny glass seed beads and sequins, that have unfortunately greyed with age.

6. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

If you can snip a bit of the seam allowance in a non-conspicuous place, you can perform a fiber burn test. It will determine whether it's natural, synthetic or a blend.

Here's the one I use - I like it because it's color-coded - but there are many others on the Internet.
    burn chart.jpeg

How would you like to be credited for the Label Resource?