1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bozart fashion brand

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Avenido, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jennifer Avenido

Jennifer Avenido Registered Guest

5E0DD63C-1238-4B1D-9CF2-FF5421B185B4.jpg hello. I inquired yesterday about dating a garment based upon clothing tags, and I got an answer for that part.

Today I am wondering if someone can tell me a little more about the clothing brand/designer I inquired about yesterday, which is the designer Bozart. I can't find ANYTHING on the internet or at VFG. I'd like to know when they originated and a little info about the creator. Thanks in advance!

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, I saw your post about that beautiful blouse.

While I have no information about the maker, I might venture a guess that the name is a take off of the term "Beaux Arts" a French term that is loosely pronounced "Boze Art" / "Bows Art".

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I did a Google search for Bozart Custom Made Blouse and found this link:

http://www.nyhistory.org/exhibit/blouse

Same approximate time frame. Bozart was probably a custom made dressmaker/tailor shop in the 1940s - possibly in New York but there is not much to go on! The blouse you found is lovely.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

“If you do a Google search for:

“Bozart Blouses”

(typed exactly like that, with quotation marks around the words) you should get quite a few results with a bit of information, ads, etc. for Bozart blouses. I think the earliest reference you will see is from a 1909 publication.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

This is a 1954 ad...(and EDITED TO ADD: The attached ad is for educational purposes only and should not be reproduced anywhere else, thanks)
    22D031A2-3370-4E35-A9BB-F008EF35446E.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  6. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

So, these were fairly high end blouses. (The one is the other post is gorgeous!). Average salary was $3000 yearly in the US in 1954 which is about $50-60 weekly take home. $12-17 is a pretty big chunk of that.

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found just a few more bits to add to the information about Bozart. A 1920 publication of the Dry Goods Economist listed Blouses and Waists manufacturers and among the listings is:

9481C2BC-D2FC-4EE7-9472-9B32AA8268B4.jpeg

A label on a blouse sold on Etsy is clearly the same Bozart trademark as yours, but has the Helitzer attribution:

56D851C1-211D-4116-A07A-48B251F48055.jpeg

This 1945 ad obviously indicates Bozart Co. is a Helitzer Bros., Inc. business:

292CA2C8-1BBF-4248-B1E0-251CBA3CAF64.jpeg

This 1949 publication lists the Helitzer partners in the Bozart company:

441E6191-E070-4661-923E-B37399093986.jpeg

I saw a 1961 reference to a Melvin Helitzer as an officer(?) or director(?) of Bozart, so I am assuming the Helitzer family was or is the owner of, or partners in, Bozart.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  8. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

One of my most treasured blouses has this label!

My blouse belonged to my husband's grandmother. I've always assumed it was from the 40s, as it was stored inside a 40s suit.

As far as quality, the suit it was inside is a Gilbert Adrian. She left behind two other Adrian suits and some very beautiful silk evening and night gowns, so this label was probably considered very nice at the time.

Here are pics of my blouse. Wonderful information in this thread!

20180202_082825.jpg 20180202_082857.jpg

GemGem and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  9. Jennifer Avenido

Wow! So amazing! That's so neat that it's one of your most treasured pieces! Thank you so much for the info!

GemGem likes this.
  10. Jennifer Avenido

Wow! Great info!!! I appreciate all of this so much! I love learning about new brands ! You're the best!

11. Jennifer Avenido

Oh my! That's crazy! I loved reading this! Thank you so much!

12. Jennifer Avenido

That's the exact same thing my label says!!!! This is great news! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! ❤️

13. Jennifer Avenido

Wow! You are really thinking outside the box! That is a clever theory! Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it dearly!

14. Jennifer Avenido

Thank you so much! I never thought about putting quotations around it when I searched online. Such a simple thing I overlooked . I'm going to do that right now. Thank you SO much!

15. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

I actually found a necklace with "bozart" on it. Seems there is another Bozart brand, but Italian and does jewellery since 1950s :)

It looks like the famous fashion photo - these were Bozart earrings

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    GemGem and Midge like this.
  16. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

17. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest