1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breslau The Friendly Shop Washington DC info?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by WanderingRae, Feb 1, 2023.

1. WanderingRae

WanderingRae Registered Guest

Thank you for your time!
    I am looking for any help offered in identifying this fur coat (what it may be, time period, and such) and information on the shop that made it.
    I located it at an estate sale in Ohio so I do not have any history on it.
    By flame test I have determined the lining and coat are natural fiber/fur as it had the smell of burnt hair and did not melt like plastic.
    Closure is 2 hook and eye. The pockets have braided trim.
    What I have found through internet search is 2 advertisements.
    Chroniclingamerica.loc.gov
    Evening Star (Washington, D.C.) 1936-05-06
    Virginiachronicle.com
    Page 9 Manassas Journal 14 July 1922
    Included are photos of the coat and the advertisements found. 20230201_162518.jpg 20230201_162550.jpg 20230201_162615.jpg 20230201_162006.jpg 20230201_161919.jpg 1675291428417.jpg 20230201_174635.jpg 20230201_174536.jpg 20230201_174513.jpg Screenshot_20230201-170406_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230201-165859_Drive.jpg If you have any questions about it I will be happy to answer them.
    Thank you again for any help.
    Rae

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

You have done a lot of solid research. Do you find how long the fur company was in business?
    I think the jacket is mouton fur from the 1960's. These were sometimes called "chubbies."
    Marian

3. WanderingRae

WanderingRae Registered Guest

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I have not been able to locate any further information on the company.
    Rae

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I will continue to look for information for you, but I found this 1925 bit about the shop's start: "Mr. and Mrs. Henry J Breslau were the recipients of scores of congratulatory telephone messages and telegrams yesterday on the occasion of the third anniversary of the establishment of their women's clothing stores, the Friendly Shop, 1309 G street northwest. The Breslaus, before they established the Friendly Shop, were associated with a well known F street store. They are reported to have enjoyed unusual success in their own venture."

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found references in the early 1960s to a CT outlet store that may have been named--or owned by--an I. Breslau, but the latest Washington DC Breslau store I found was referred to in a 1957 article: "M.H. Peltz Inc., Baltimore, and Harry, Samuel, and Irving Peltz have denied Federal Trade Commission charges that there were irregularities in the advertising, labeling, and invoicing of their fur products. The complaint FTC issued Dec 13 said the three men are partners in Breslau, a Washington DC fur store."

I have to get back to some errands now and will poke around for more information later.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A second 1957 article about the FTC complaint(s) stated: "Samuel Peltz...said he is still checking into the FTC charges against him and Harry and Irving Peltz, but it is his understanding that they relate to the fur operation at Breslau's, Washington, and not the larger operation in Baltimore...According to Samuel Peltz, the Breslau fur operation is leased by the partners."

A couple of years before that a June 1955 article noted: "Breslau Furs, ready-to-wear firm here, began its going-out-of-business sale at the weekend and expects to close the doors of this 35-year-old firm at the end of September..."

And a couple of years after the 1957 FTC articles I found a 1961 article that commented on buyers seeking $40 minks at Breslau's in Washington. After 1961 I only saw mentions of Ida Breslau's sportswear store in CT.

PhoenixSisters likes this.