1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burberrys Coat (Otter fur) 1970's/1980's?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by daniel hopcroft, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I don't know but it seems unlikely they would have kept using them after it was illegal (1975). So if you are sure it was bought in the 1980s, mouton is more probable.

Your heading though, suggests you thought it could be earlier.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Do you have any photos of your grandfather wearing this coat in public functions? Or newspaper article about outdoor functions when he might have worn it? It could help narrow down a time period.
    Marian

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. daniel hopcroft

daniel hopcroft Registered Guest

That is a good idea, I will see what I can dig out.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The fur looks like either beaver or otter to me. Otter may indeed be the color. It may be a cashmere or cashmere blend, or camelhair, etc. as the wool looks very fine. Does it feel buttery soft to your hand?

I LOVE the coat!

Midge likes this.
  5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree, it seems unlikely they would have kept using otter after that.

6. daniel hopcroft

daniel hopcroft Registered Guest

Buttery soft is a good description... it is the softest thing I've ever felt, like a baby kitten or rabbit.
    IMG_4967.jpg

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Doesn't sound like lamb/sheep/mouton then... in which case it seems likely to be otter, given the label. Selling fur from endangered species without the correct paperwork is illegal.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Sorry if I was not clear....when I asked about it being buttery soft, I was referring to the body of the coat, not the fur collar.