1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burberrys skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hooplah, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Hooplah

Hooplah Registered Guest

Hi, I bought this Burberrys A line skirt recently at a vintage sale.. I'm trying to ascertain whether it could be 40s era.. From VFG label resource it looks like an older label but its also capitalised so I'm not sure.. any ideas?

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think we'd need to know more about the skirt.

What kind of zipper (metal or plastic), button? Have you checked to see if there are any other labels anywhere, in a side seam for instance? Can you tell what the lining is made of?

Ruth

3. Hooplah

Hooplah Registered Guest

Aaah, thanks very much, it has a metal zipper, and a couple of metal clips which possibly may have been added to waistline rather than original, not sure.
    Another label which says 100% wool (skirt) and 100% Viscose (lining) plus one other label with size and a number. Photos here. So I'm guessing viscose is more modern?

Attached Files:

4. Retro Ruth

Okay definitely not 40s. That zip doesn't look metal to me? The teeth of zip? It looks like a nylon (plastic) zip.

Viscose is another term for rayon, and a term often used in the UK. Rayon has been around a long time, but labels stating content of materials don't usually appear until the 70s.

Not sure about that label with name and order - I wonder if this is a sample piece?

My guess is 70s at the earliest, maybe 80s, maybe even more modern.

5. Retro Ruth

Are you in the UK? If that 16 is a UK size, if you tell us the waist measurement, that will give some indicator of the age. A size 16 from the 70s, would be much smaller than size 16 from the 90s.

Also the multi languages on the fabric content label seems quite modern too.

6. Hooplah

Hooplah Registered Guest

Yes its a UK 16 on the label, but I'm a UK 12/14 and it fits me so its a small 16.. waist approx 34"

Thanks very much!

7. Hooplah

Hooplah Registered Guest

Oh you're right, the actual zip i just ran my nail up and it isn't metal, it jst looks it.. the toggle bit on the end feels like metal though..

8. Retro Ruth

According to Burberry, that's only slightly smaller than a present day 16. They put a 34" waist as a 16 on their sizing chart today - so the actual skirt would measure an inch or two larger than the waist measurement.

Your skirt can't be newer than late 90s, which is when they dropped the S from Burberry, but it could be 1990s. I'm not sure, but we can at least narrow it down to 70s at the earliest, and 90s at the latest.

9. Hooplah

Hooplah Registered Guest

Great thanks for your help Ruth! I do love it although may need to have it taken in a bit to fit better, and was a bargain :)

10. Retro Ruth

It's a great skirt! I love wool. And it certainly works for a 1940s look.

11. Hooplah

Hooplah Registered Guest

Yeah that's what stumped me, its a timeless A line so fits right in with my wardrobe anyhow, a perfect find just in time for winter.. :)

Retro Ruth likes this.
  12. Golly, Ruth, I thought you were channelling me with all your questions! You've said exactly what I would have said, and extra points for pointing out that measuring the waist and comparing that to the size label can often narrow it down to a decade.

You're right - this looks like a special order/custom skirt from the late '80s to early '90s. See how the inside label says "Ex Long"? This lady was either very tall or very modest - and so Burberry made one for her a little different. It's not uncommon for designers to offer this service, the additional cost was generally about 10% and it also has the benefit of making you feel extra special. It probably had a matching jacket too.

I've got a suit from the same time, with the same label.
    Burberry suit.jpg

13. Retro Ruth

Well Nicole, I've learnt so much from you! Hang around these boards for a few years, and it's amazing how much you find you know.

But you've narrowed it down even further - and I see Burberry still do a custom order service.

14. Hooplah

Hooplah Registered Guest

Oh wow, thanks ladies! I'm going to pretend that the "Ex" on my label stands for Extra Special :)

Retro Ruth likes this.
  15. Hooplah

Hooplah Registered Guest

Ironically, I am not tall (5 ft 4) but I like my A lines quite long!

16. Thanks Ruth: I've learnt a lot from the VFG too. Particularly valuable has been regional differences, or lack thereof. We're just one big international community these days, so it's great to know about different terms and ways of doing things.