1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

We had a burglary Saturday morning. Our house has casement windows and they pried one open in the MBR to break the tongue on the lock. They took vintage and some designer jewelry which I rarely wear from three drawers, including 2 of the drawers.

We have interior alarms. According to the alarm, they were in my house less than 2 min.
    According to the police, burglars are looking for cash, jewelry, and guns which can be converted to cash quickly.

I'm trying to remember exactly what was in the drawers.My suggestion is that you photograph your drawers so you at least know what you have.

The damage is probably more than the items taken since we'll probably have to replace the entire window and have new drawers made. Many of these items had sentimental value even though they were not real expensive.

All in all, it could have been worse; I entered the back door and turned off the alarm before they exited the back door. I was rattled but not hurt.

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I'm so sorry to hear this Claire. The important thing is that you're safe!

I've been burglarized and it's such a hurtful experience.

3. claireshaeffer

You should photo everything--not just expensive. Little things count up.
    Thank you for commiserating!

4. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

So sorry to hear this, Claire! I am so grateful you were not physically hurt the way people have lost their minds these days! STUFF can be replaced, people can't!

5. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

Claire, so very sorry to hear about this. At least you are safe.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Claire, so sorry this has happened but very glad to know you were not hurt.

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Rattled is right! I'm so sorry to hear this.

8. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

So sorry to hear of your home invasion. It is a major violation of not only your property but of your peace of mind.
    Thanks for reminding us of the need for photos.

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

When I was in my 20s, I walked in on a team of burglars in my Chicago apartment after work one afternoon. I was an RN working day shift at the time, so home earlier than an office worker. Luckily for me, they were professionals - their leader was in the foyer - I walked in, and we made brief eye contact. He whistled to his 2 partners, who came out of the bedrooms, and the 3 of them walked around me and exited down the stairs without a word. They got some cash and jewelry, but we were too young to have much, and they didn't have time to dismantle stereo equipment or do a destructive dive for hidden treasure (which we didn't have either).
    It sounds like your burglars were professionals too. And yes, it could almost always be worse, but in addition to losing things you cared about, you lost your sense of safety and security in your own home. That is huge.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  10. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Oh my gosh I am so sorry to hear about this. That is so unnerving!

I am glad you all are safe but what a scary experience!

11. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Claire,

Glad you are safe and that you did not encounter the thieves! You wrote that you disabled the alarm at the back door before they exited the same way. That was close!

I have been robbed several times (not at my current location). As Maggie and others wrote - it is a terrible feeling. You feel violated that someone was in your space, going through your things - even if what is missing is not valuable. I don't have photos of my drawers but I do have photos of most of my jewelry and of every room in the house.

I have an alarm system and I always set it. If you don't have a motion detector in your master bedroom you might want to add one when you repair the window. If you have a pet you will have to keep the pet from the room(s) with motion detector when you leave the house and alarm it.
    Several years ago I went to a Symphony concert and had left my cat in the house. She set off the motion detector! Sadly, I no longer have Miss Katie cat so I can always set the alarm for away. (Away alarms all door, window and motion detector sensors.)

12. claireshaeffer

Linn, they exited the front door as I entered the back.
    I'm making several changes. We live on a corner and the drive and back door are on the side street. I've always gone around the block on the back side of the house; my husband takes the front. It I had taken the front, I might have seen them leave.

We have a motion detector in the MBR, but the room rambles so I am adding another. We don't like to leave the dogs out at night because of the coyotes; they can stay in the kitchen. There isn't a lot to steal in the kitchen except my new fry pan.

We've lived in this house since 1976. About 20 years ago, some of my sterling flatware was stolen--probably by someone working in the house. Otherwise, I've always left the laundry room and guest house unlocked with no problems. The police think it was homeless/drug related. The alarm company thinks it might be someone who knew the house.

Thanks to all for your notes and thoughts.
    C

13. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Claire -

You wrote that you entered the back door (above) - glad you missed the thieves.

I had a close encounter many years ago. I was separated from my ex and had gone out for the evening. When I got home I took off my jewelry and opened the sliding door in the MBR. I didn't know that the thief or thieves were already outside in the yard. They quickly cut the screen, entered the bedroom scooped up my bracelet and two antique rings and left. I was pretty shook up. I was robbed two other times - in NYC and once in Honolulu but I wasn't home. I lost some family pieces in one robbery that I couldn't replace. Sorry about your flatware.

I've been in my current house since 1992 and have had the alarm since 1996. It helps - but as you found out if someone wants to get in - they will. Hopefully an additional motion detector will help!

14. Flannery Crane

Flannery Crane VFG Member

That is so scary- I m sorry this happened!

15. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

what a frightening experience; so sorry, Claire...and Maggie and Linn, too!

many many years ago my in-laws home in Honolulu was ransacked and robbed...like you say, Claire, photos would help tremendously, they did not have them to reference. I remember that months later Lu would go to dress/accessorize for an event and just then discover items missing, and then realize it was probably part of the heist. Unfortunately, that resulted in extending her loss even further, it was so heartbreaking.

16. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Photographing everything is a necessary part of the job at the museum, and one that I try to keep up with, even if it's a lousy photo. We had a theft shortly after moving into our current space back in 2015. The landlady hired a contractor to do work on the building and he was one of those annoying pious Christians (long story...) Anyway, one of his jobs was to put locks on all the storage room doors, which he did while we were out of town for a few days. Months later I realized that a 1930s Deco enamel compact and a necklace and earring set from the 1950s by Boucheron were missing, and it took me a while to realize the only explanation was that someone from his crew must have taken them. I found out later that he hired guys from halfway homes, which is very nice but when they are recovering drug addicts they aren't trustworthy. Anyway, the landlady told me just recently that he had fired someone from his crew for stealing around that time. I wish I knew that at the time... Anyway, the moral of this story is that the compact was photographed, but the Boucheron set was not and so I didn't bother even trying to get an insurance payout.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  17. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Claire, how awful, that this happened to you! It's horrible to feel invaded in your own home.

I don't have any truly valuable stuff, but I love the costume jewelry that I have collected over the years, or received as gifts form loved ones. Losing it would indeed be sad--I'm so sorry that the thieves got your collection. Good luck with the damage repair, and the security improvements.

It is certainly good advice, about photographing everything. Although, I've always wondered if my insurance company would believe my valuation of vintage "junk", i.e. costume jewelry--they would probably have no idea what it is worth.

18. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Claire, I always joke that I leave the doors to my house unlocked, hoping someone will come in and steal things so I won’t have to pick them up and find a place to put them. After reading your sad story my joke isn’t funny anymore.

Your advice to photograph everything has given me an important project — for the next couple of years! First, though, I will have to pick up and put away...

So very sorry for your alarming experience, but very relieved you are all OK.

19. claireshaeffer

Lynne,
    Just photo them where they are. Thanks to all for the notes.
    I've been looking at museum stores and vintage sites to jog my memory about items that were taken.
    I'm really annoyed, they stole by belly dancer necklace. I'd never worn it but I hadn't discarded the idea. C

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020