1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burton Miller dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Birdy, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

Hello! I bought this gown at a thrift store in Van Nuys, California. It has a Burton Miller label. From my research I’ve gleaned that Burton Miller was an Oscar nominated Hollywood costume designer most known for his work on The Six Million Dollar Man and The Alfred Hitchcock series. Anyway, my research has only shown one other dress with his label that sold on Etsy and I can’t see what it sold for. I am a reseller so I’m wondering if there’s any value to this beautiful piece because of the Burton Miller label other than the fact that it’s just a beautiful quality OOAK gown. Is it a costume?? It weighs about 10 pounds! Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hello @Birdy,

Wonderful find! I don't have much to offer here, but I can tell you it is possible to find the price of sold items on Etsy with this tool: https://www.flippertools.com/tools/etsySoldPrice/etsy-sold-price.htm

I believe the dress wouldn't be a costume with the label, so I looked to see if I could find anything about Burton Miller having a design label. I saw him quoted in 1959 in the Sacramento Bee. It's a start, but I'm sure there's a lot more to know about his history.

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 10.44.55 AM.png

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

This is his 1982 obit
    405BDE36-7CBA-43E2-9914-BF731AEB7C35.jpeg
    Looks like he did some bespoke clothing besides being a costume designer. With the label, I would also think not a costume.
    Are there any other tags or labels of any kind?