1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help me ID what this print may be on the Hawaiian Shirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by poppysvintageclothing, Mar 4, 2020.

1. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I keep wondering what this print is supposed to be of...if you can help out, it would be appreciated. Is it some sort of fan? It makes me think a bit of Indonesian Batik, but I honestly am stumped with this one.

Weird Print on Hawaiian shirt.jpg

Weird Print on Hawaiian shirt 2.jpg

Weird Print on Hawaiian shirt 1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  2. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Makes me think of abstract honeycomb. ???

3. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

Does the shirt have a label? What fabric is it? It looks like it may be from somewhere other than Hawaii?

4. poppysvintageclothing

Sorry, Debbie, you cannot make it out from the photo, but it is from Honolulu, it is on the label on the lower right corner. I cannot get back into etsy at the moment to check on the fabric content. Etsy is down for me right now.

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The brown design seems to have drawn its inspiration from tapa cloth designs. Assuming that might be so, it seems reasonable to find a Hawaiian shirt with allusions to a traditional native craft/art.

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

reminds me of a fly swatter. not familiar with Capt David. interesting. the long collar points have me thinking 70s on this one.

love those cool petroglyph buttons.

7. poppysvintageclothing

Thanks, Lynne. I looked into tapa cloth, quite the process to make from the mulberry tree. Native to the Pacific islands including Hawaii, so that may well be the inspiration.

Thanks, Amanda....It does have nice buttons, Mary and yes definitely 70s.

8. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

My first thoughts were woven wicker birdcage or broom.

9. catseyevintage

How strange - the bottom three pictures showing the button and label didn't show for me earlier. I had thought it might be Jamacian or even an Africian wax print, but apparently not.

10. poppysvintageclothing

Debbie, the photo was there, it was just that I forgot to enlarge the photo here and left it as a thumbnail.

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Seeing that pattern made me think of Lapita pottery (Lapita where prehistoric people in the South Pacific - ancestors of Polynesians etc.), which featured fine geometric patterns - but then geometric patterns also show up on tapa cloths. I saw some Lapita pottery last year in a museum and found it fascinating how fine and regular the patterns were.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  12. poppysvintageclothing

It is a polyester...so it appears it is just a print and not actually a depiction of some sort of object.

Glad I posted about it as I had never heard of tapa fabric before and so I watched some YouTube videos of the whole process.
    Loads of work to make the real fabric - interesting stuff.

13. Boy, I can sure see why you were stumped on this pattern, MJ! I agree with Lynne. It does resemble tapa cloth inspiration on this shirt. But, Mary is correct, too. I also see that fly swatter!!!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  14. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I saw broom as well

laurenm likes this.
  15. poppysvintageclothing

The problem with it being a broom or fly swatter is that the handled part is super short.

16. catseyevintage

When I visited the Bishop Museum in Honolulu, they had a large exhibit regarding suspected travel and movement between the Hawaiian islands and other islands, as far away as New Zealand and Fuji and the Carribean. They believe ideas did travel between the different islands.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020