1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Believe What Happened Today!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by jauntyrooster, Jun 23, 2010.

1. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

We are pretty confident in the first part being Corocraft - and from other pieces I have found online with the same flowers, Corocraft seems like it would be correct. The second mark could be a voodoo curse for all I can figure out at this point! :)

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

we consistently sell coro bracelets with thermosets for $35; with rhinestones we'd ask more. that's adorable!

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Have you looked on RCJ? Here is the Coro marks page:

http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarkscoro.html

If you cannot find it on this site, if you show a picture of the mark, we can probably help you. It helps a lot to show the clasp and the back of the bracelet when trying to date and determine value. CoroCraft was Coro's high end line in the 1940's - usually Sterling with vermeil. Corocraft was a line in the '50's that is nice - not the quality of CoroCraft. There are lots and lots of Coro Marks!

Linn

4. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Hi Linn - thanks so much for chiming in. I actually bookmarked that page today as I have been using it to try to compare. The Coro on the clasp is nice and clear so will see if I can get a pic of it - have a better camera available tomorrow. It is Coro script with no copyright mark. I am very doubtful of the marks on the back photographing - they are really really hard to see even in good light with extreme magnification. Am going to try when have better camera as I am hopeful that maybe the camera can capture something we can't see with naked eye. If I get good pics, will post. I am leaning more to Corocraft - I don't think I see a capital C.

I found this Coro set which looks to me to have the same flowers in its design...not all of them are the same but you can see a couple of them are nearly identifical. This photo is not my set - it is something I found online. I was unable to post a link (it was showing as no longer available) so actually posted a quick snippet. I don't want to step on anyone's toes...

Thanks again. I would really love to solve this mystery.

5. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

It does look like it could be the same "line"!

Without handling it, I'd say I'd probably offer it for about $35-45 in my shop - in excellent condition
    Very pretty!! :).

6. Wow! Just picked up on this thread. Sorry you've had to deal with such an idiot who was clearly trying to pull a 'fast one' on you!

Can't believe your jewellery which is almost exactly the same as the parure set I'm putting on my new website. BTW. These date from the 1950's so I'm pretty sure yours are too. Although there's a very faint signature on the back of the necklace, I can't really see it clearly. I've put on my listing that this set is very similar in style to Jewelcraft who were founded by the Coro company, later bought by the Verri family who own Gem-Craft, one of the most celebrated costume jewellery designers of all time.

I'm no jewellery expert but this is what I found from the research I've been carrying out recently so hope it helps. I also know the origins of my jewellery set so can guarantee it's from the fifties. :)

I'm listing my set at £55.00 which I think is a pretty competitive price. There is one stone missing from the bracelet otherwise I'd be listing at a higher price. :)

Here's some photos of mine which include necklace, clip-on earrings and bracelet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Wow! Such a pretty set and thank you so much for info. Every little bit helps. I could swear that I actually saw that set in an old Coro ad when I was doing research. Will look again and post if I can find the ad again.

Thanks again!

8. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Ok, it wasn't an actual ad instead it was this set that I had found (link below). It is similar to mine but nearly identical to yours. My flowers are all more rounded at the tips compared the pointier tips seen on your set and this set. The seller indicates that is called Coro Honore - you have probably already seen this but if not, I really do think it is quite similar if not the same.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/494684-sb616/Vintage-CORO-1955-Honore-Necklace

Sorry if I am giving you stale info - I know you said you had done research so this probably isnt anything new to you but thought it might be worth a try. There are two other lines very similar - Miramar and Fanfare but Honore seems to be yours.

9. Thanks so much for the link/info. :) No, I hadn't seen that set so it's really interesting to see. Also, their pricing the set at $110 which is about £73 GBP. I think my pricing is about right bearing in mind I have one missing stone although my set appears to be in much better condition with no chips or scratches. Mmmmm . . . . . . . . :scratchchin:

10. Linn

I had the pleasure of visiting Gem-Craft in Rhode Island in 2005, and meeting Gene Verrechia who was the chief designer for Coro in their heyday and his son Ron Verri. Gene Verrechia is the designer of most of the really iconic Coro pieces from the '30's and '40''s. He worked at Coro for 30 years.

Gem-Craft is one of the only manufacturers of costume jewelry still operating in the US. At the time of my visit, they were making some jewelry for Chico's and KJL. I was with about 10 other people and had a tour. It was a real thrill.

Msgrossmyer's bracelet is not the same design as Louise's or the one on RL. I don't think it is from the same "line". Coro made jewelry at many different price points. We need to see the back and the construction of Msgrossmeyer's bracelet to see if it as well made as Louise's set.

Linn

11. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

back of bracelet

Here is a fairly bad pic of the back and a really bad pic of the Coro on the clasp. I can't come close to getting the two other marks to photograph. My friend with good camera fell through for day...

Linn - I really appreciate your input. Sorry I dont have better pics to give you. I wasn't ever really planning to get into jewelry but now that I am, better camera is a must I can see!

12. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

full pic of back

13. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

maybe a little more help - closer

14. Linn

It looks like it's nicely made. I use a scanner for jewelry most of the time. You get very sharp images of the marks and the construction. I also use my digital camera. You probably will have to invest in a camera with a macro or good close-up lens unless you want to try a flat bed scanner.

The mark is Coro - not Corocraft. It's pre-1955 - by style and lack of the © mark. The other marks could be "Pat. Pend" or Des. Pat. #. In that period most of the jewelry companies were getting the designs patented to prevent copying. But they all made similar pieces - because that is what sold! Many pieces that are marked Pat. Pend. were never patented but you could try to search the patents from that time frame and see if you find it.

You have a nice quality early 1950'sCoro bracelet. Enjoy it!

Linn

15. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Hi Linn - The scanning idea is brilliant - am working on it now. I am really trying to get the two marks on bottom - one is def Corocraft - was able to actually read as we have brilliant sun today and was able to get a look at it outside under magnifying glass. The other is a signature - for sure - it is not Pat Pend or Des Pat Pend - it is two words and is a scripty looking signature. Honestly, probably wont ever solve. Am glad to have confirmation on pre-1955. Anyway - regardless of what it says, I dont think it is worth enough money to spend more of your time on it - I will probably need you again in the future so have to use your patience wisely! :)

As always - cannot say thank you enough.

16. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I just wanted to concur on a few points.

> Your Bracelet is Lovely!

> That dude was a jacka$$.

I've done a lot of picking & trading with Antique dealers over the years. Here in Vegas, especially, they are for the most part, jerks.

The ALL play that, "It's junk, I'll give ya 2 bucks for it game." Thing is - if it truly IS junk, they wouldn't even offer the 2 bucks, right? I've learned to just go to the dealers I know are fair. There are 3 here in town that I trade with. Although I haven't had anything to take to them for a long time now...

17. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Update - Finally Know What Marks ARe!

Went to a jeweler today to get a bracelet repaired and took the Coro piece. He was so helpful. We were able to confirm "Corocraft" and the word "Miramar" in script on the back of the bracelet. He was able to show them to us so that they were readable so it was really neat. Ended up purchasing a jewelry loop from him that should alleviate this issue in the future! Oddly excited for it to arrive.

Thanks to all.

18. Linn

I did a little research - Miramar was a 1956 Corocraft line. I found this link on a wonderful site dedicated to Coro:

http://imageevent.com/clios_vintage...smallrosoff?p=16&n=1&m=-1&c=2&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=9

If that link is too long use this one and look at #17:

http://imageevent.com/clios_vintage_jewelry/coropatents/evelynsmallrosoff

I also found an ad with a picture of a pin, and earrings labeled Miramar. I'll scan it if I can't find it online.

A loop is a great tool - you'll love it. Sometimes you can read a hard to read mark if you scan it at a higher resolution and "blow it up."

Linn

19. Linn

Here's the 1956 ad:

[​IMG]

I had it saved on my computer but without the "Miramar" part I would never have found it! It's a little hard to make out - it's the second from the bottom on the left.

Linn

20. mingus107

mingus107 Registered Guest

I know I'm late in this one, but I just had to add my 2 cents. I worked for a high end, very respectable jewelry store for a very long time. The owners routinely, purchased items from people who had no idea what they had, for pennies. They would then clean it up and sell it for 100 times what they paid. Literally. When an uninformed customer walked through the door with their grandmother's jewlery box, they would salivate. The bottom line is that you should always get several appraisals on items before selling or insuring them. The is absolutely nothing wrong with making money on the turnover, that's good business. Unfortunately, there are alot of bad business people. Sorry for your bad experience and you have a lovely bracelet!