1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catalina Knitting Mills "Cable" sweater

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lindapoirier, Sep 3, 2019.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Guest

III

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2020
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

You may already realise this, but the knitting technique used in this sweater is cabling. The white and red stripes, because of the way they twist, are cables. So that will be why it's called Catalina Cable.

Perhaps it's a range they brought out because they had acquired the machinery to do that technique? I'm not familiar with the history of machine knitting, but I'm sure machine cable knitting would take particular equipment (when you cable in hand knitting, you have to use an extra needle). So it may have been an innovation at this time?

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Very nice sweater, Linda. Guess they were just trying to make it known with that label that they now had a "cable knit" line. Looking at it, it is styled more like a bolero jacket. I wonder if it had a matching slightly flared bottom skirt. I see it as 1940s, jitterbug / swing style.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019