1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHANEL Boutique Fur Coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by msricenbeans, Apr 13, 2009.

1. msricenbeans

msricenbeans Registered Guest

Hello!

I have this amazing Vintage 60's? 70's? Fox Fur Coat with a Neiman Marcus and Chanel Boutique Label. Is this for real? Thoughts? Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ms Rice, I'm no expert on Chanel but that label doesn't seem to have been put in straight or very well - how is it sewn?

It looks like a high quality garment though, and I love the mongrammed name.

The Chanel label looks similar to one in the resource that is from a '80s RTW suit.

Nicole

3. avamac

avamac Alumni

300306392515 There's a Chanel Boutique fur from the UK on eBay right now...

4. The contrast stitching on the Chanel label looked odd to me, but I see on the auction that Maryalice posted it is also contrasting.

5. msricenbeans

Yes, I saw that too. I have been told that as long as the label is machine stitched it should be original which it is! Thanks everyone!

6. cooltriker

cooltriker Registered Guest

for such a high class label like chanel, i would have thought it would have been sewn right around, not just at the sides, but i might be totally wrong, but it is a thought to consider,

as i know some antique dealers will take labels from one thing that is totally un-saleable, and put it on something else..

i know someone who does it with welsh blankets, and all he says when i question him is buyer beware...charming....

7. msricenbeans

It is actually sewn all the way around. Good point though!

8. cooltriker

cooltriker Registered Guest

ooo ok sorry from the pic it looked as htough it was only sewn on the sides...

it is a beatiful coat, and most have cost a samll fortune when new

9. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

I would have expected the label to be tacked in by hand, not machine sewn.

Melody

10. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Chanel rtw labels are usually machine sewn so I would expect the Chanel label to be the same.

To sew the labels by machine, you would have to remove the lining at the neck edge to get the lining under the sewing machine foot. This takes effort and some skill.

It would be easy to just sew the labels in by hand.
    Claire

11. TangerineBoutique

I see, Claire.
    But I am confused, why would they sew it in after the lining was already in? When I did production for a small company we always had the labels sewn into a specified place on the lining before it was set into the garment. It makes no no sense to go through all that trouble AFTER. I believe you, I just don't see the reason.

Melody

12. claireshaeffer

Melody,
    You're right. That's why a machine-stitched label is probably original. It was sewn to the lining before the lining was sewn into the garment.

It would be difficult to add a machine stitched label to a finished garment, but it would be easy to add a handsewn one. C

13. TangerineBoutique

NOW I see what you were saying Claire!

I thought perhaps the coat was a total "fake" to begin with and it was made to pretend a Chanel for the knock off market. That way the labels would have gone in before the lining was set. I figured a real Chanel, even ready to wear would have a hand tacked label. Somehow a machine stitched label in a fur coat cheapens it for me. I guess even Chanel is cutting corners!

Melody

14. claireshaeffer

Melody,
    I cease to be amazed at Chanel--very off this subject.
    Last year I saw a "vest" at Neiman's in Chicago. The fronts were not matched at center front and they didn't match when joined to the side fronts. I wish I had bought it, photographed it, and returned it--it was so awful.

I went down the street to the Chanel Boutique. They had the same vest, but the fronts were balanced. They didn't match to the side fronts but the two fronts were mirror images.

I watched the fashion show video at the Boutique and the side front seams were matched as well as the fronts.

I think that's really tacky. C

15. TangerineBoutique

Wow! I won't keep this thread going forever but I must say I am floored by what you just said Claire. Matching pattern is sewing 101. How are they getting away with this? Don't their clients complain? Has even the elite public become that blasé to beautiful craftsmanship? Chanel RTW does not go for chump change, it's as pricey as off the rack gets.

Ok rant is over. Must go lie down now.

Melody

16. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i have to say i am stunned that Chanel would have a label sewn in like that. look at the stitching, the left side is totally crooked....

not to rain on any parades, but we had some women who used to sew designer labels in regular clothing before they would bring them in to consign with the hopes for a (much) higher resale rate.

there were TONS of little local ladies who could easily clip a neckline seam, sew in a tag, and retack/sew the seam. could also clip the hem, and slip up inside the lining to add the label, if they really wanted to.

anyway, i could be wrong, but i fell very strongly that that Chanel label is NOT original to the coat.

17. claireshaeffer

Mary,
    I have a fabulous YSL 2-peice dress that came with two couture labels: one YSL and one Givenchy. Claire

18. Siri

Siri Registered Guest

I saw that. It must be original.