1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Deborah,
    Wonderful news that the stitching is only on the outside. The copies are stitched after lining or facing is sewn on. In couture, the stitching is done before because there are fewer layers and it's easier to stitch it perfectly when there is no excess bulk.

Look at the sleeve seam again. Can you see a difference in the ribs, particularly toward the cuff. Now this really isn't terribly important on this jacket but it will help you identify details in the future. If it is a separate strip, the ribs on the sleeve will look "cut-off" as the strip nears the wrist and the ribs on the strip will be the same from the bottom to the top.

Actually solid knit suits are relatively unusual, but I was thinking Chanel. There is a Chanel red knit in the SF Museum collection but it's quite different.

Thanks for checking, Claire

2. claireshaeffer

Another thought, even though the suit has a label, checking the individual elements is always good in today's world of transferring labels. Unfortunately, labels are easier to add than a hallmark on silver. C

3. Thanks so much Claire - I will check that in the morning. My eyes are going buggy from being on the computer all day. Will report back then.

4. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

Glad to know this thread is here on the off chance I ever find one of these. That's a lot of little detailing to remember!

5. claireshaeffer

Recently a Chanel suit was advertised on e-bay. The lining had a small tear next to one of the quilting rows.

The seller thought it was a rip and could be fixed easily. Actually, it couldn't be fixed at all.

This is what caused the tear. The jacket fabric and lining were quilted together. When the jacket was worn, the outside fabric had more give than the lining. The lining was stressed where the two were joined and tore. This made a hole in the fabric.

If it were a rip, the thread joining two pieces of fabric would have broken and unravelled.

End of sewing lesson. Claire

6. Thanks Claire - I did look at it last week. I've just learned something (has there ever been a day at the VFG I didn't?!). I thought rip and tear were synonomous.

getting close-ups still on my list :BAGUSE:

7. What I could not see with my eyes, I found easy to see when I enlarged the photograph - all the ribs are running in different directions: wrist is horizontal, piping is vertical and the sleeve is slanted.

[​IMG]