1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chanelle label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by retro-rani, May 12, 2009.

1. retro-rani

retro-rani Registered Guest

Hello,

I have a gorgeous linen like 60's jacket with a Chanelle label in it, now I seem to remember waaaaay back that some of us had a discussion about it and I'm pretty sure someone said it was a Dior label, but it was years ago and I'm not sure if I am remembering it right.

I have searched for ages on the internet and there is nothing about it at all and I want to list it soon, does anyone else know anything about it?

I'll try and upload a photo later.

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I did a quick look through the databases and the only 1960s ad I found for Chanelle was for a "Chanelle jacket" that was sold by K Mart. I did see other references to a "chanelle style jacket" in an article about nun's clothing. Because of that latter reference, I assume "chanelle" referred to a style and I wonder if the K Mart ad was for a (lowercase) "chanelle jacket." If not and if it meant a Chanelle brand, I wouldn't expect to see a Dior line at K Mart.

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Did we have K mart in the 60s. My guess is this is a Chanel knock-off label. What does the garment look like? Claire

4. I'm with Claire - I think it's a label hoping to mislead customers into thinking it's a "Chanel" and worth something. I've seen a few similar labels from the '50s and '60s. I had a dress with a label that said "Chanel of Melbourne". :lol:

Nicole

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

The text below the bottom right outfit in this 1962 ad says:

"Match plaid and solid combinations featuring full pleated skirts. Chanelle jacket, 3/4 sleeve. Sizes: 3 to 16. Save now!

As Chanelle is the first word in the sentence, it is hard to tell whether they mean chanelle-style jacket (whatever that is) or that the maker is Chanelle, but from the minute I saw your post I assumed it was intended to sound like Chanel and to, thus, add cachet to the wearer and/or garment.

6. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Wow! I tried to enlarge the ad to check the styling. Is it a cardigan style jacket? If so, I think it's a knock off. That said, Chanelle could be a knock off label as well.

The problem is that most of us are not collecting this price range and our experiences are limited. C

7. retro-rani

retro-rani Registered Guest

Hi,
    I found an old post by Daniel from 2001 on the ebay forums where he mentions Chanelle being part of Dior but doesn't go into detail, I've sent him an email but I think he's been at work all day so hopefully he'll reply tonight.

Here's the jacket (top button is in the pocket):
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/annabaria/Ebay/DSC_0037.jpg

And here's the label:
    [​IMG]

8. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

I think Chanelle was just a boutique here in the UK. I've got a Horrockses dress with that Chanelle label stitched over the Horrockses, and I've seen a few other labelled pieces with the Chanelle also inserted. I'm not sure if they were purely stockists, or whether they produced their own pieces as well.

Needless to say, nowadays they probably wouldn't get away with that name!

9. badhorsie

badhorsie Registered Guest

I know it is about two years too late but I wore "Chanelle" clothes in the 1980s and bought them in House of Frazer department stores. They had some lovely designs.

By the way, I just joined, I am Deb from Dorset UK. I love this forum, so full of what I need to know and to confirm the knowledge I have :cats:

10. modamuzesi

modamuzesi Registered Guest

I got a "Chanelle" suit today from a thrift store in New York. It's a pink tweed Chanel style suit from 60's. Jacket also have "Mr. Reginald, Mayfair" label and skirt have "Lightning" zipper which is seen common in vintage made in UK garments. When I googled i found another "Chanelle" jacket with Mr. Reginald label from Oxfam,UK website. It was probably fake Chanel brand from UK.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  11. Jp2023

Jp2023 Registered Guest

Hi. Years late, but after my mother passed in 2019 we've been sorting her things and found many fashion-related items belonging to my nan, who was a seamstress and dress maker/designer. Amongst the various sewing patterns I found a Chanelle soft paper bag -which lead me here. I thought I'd add the image to the mystery. These leads credence to it being a boutique of sorts.

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.