1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Dior dress, possible vintage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lavivintagefinds, Jul 28, 2013.

1. lavivintagefinds

lavivintagefinds Registered Guest

Hello! This is my first post on here and I just wanted to let you guys know how much I appreciate this site. I am quite new at selling on eBay (about 30 sales so far) and I recently bought this beautiful dress from a thrift shop. I fell in love with it and I was going to buy it even if it weren't labeled Christian Dior. I've been searching for the past 3 months a reference to this dress with no results. I finally decided to ask you guys if you could tell if this is truly vintage and if Dior ever made this kind of dress. There is no material label, only a size label that reads 8. Zipper on the back, lined, material is definitely wool or wool blend in excellent condition. All your help is greatly appreciate it. Thank you! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. lavivintagefinds

Argh, so sorry for the way the pictures attached! I posted them from my phone and I don't know why they came out turned. I have no idea how to fix it!!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi, sorry don't know your name!

I am unfamiliar with this label with the CD initials.
    Also, it is labeled as a robe du soir / which means an evening dress. I see this more as a day dress.

Perhaps some of our other members will be more familiar with the label on this one and be able to help you out more.
    We don't have this particular label in our label resource either.

It looks 80s or early 90s to me.

4. lavivintagefinds

Sorry, my name is Lavi. Thank you for th reply!
    I did a google image search for this label and it does come up a few times, with what appear to be day dresses as well. But you are right, what I've seen is dated as early '80's.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The squared shoulder, princess line, polka-dots, and grey/black colour suggest early 90s to me but I don't know that label. I think it must be when Dior was reinventing itself after Bohan left, which was about 1990.

6. lavivintagefinds

Hello Jonathan! Thank you so much for your reply! It's interesting to find that this is from the 90's. when I saw it, I immediately thought more of Mad Men era. I found a few with the exact same label in some Etsy shops.

By the way, I am becoming more and more interested in vintage clothing and I am reading up all on these forums to gain more knowledge. What good books on fashion history and vintage clothing would you all recommend?

7. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Lavi,
    Re your book question, I would suggest checking out the Amazon Link at the tool bar top of the page. This will lead you to many wonderful books that have been selected especially for our members to consider purchasing. And by following the link it also helps raise funds for the Vintage Fashion Guild through our affiliates program with Amazon. :sunshine:

8. lavivintagefinds

Oh my, that is so awesome! Thank you for the tip. Seriously though, this forum is addictive. I pretty much stayed on here for about 7 hours, going back on your archives and reading on old posts. I even forgot to eat dinner! I will definitely check those books now. I have a few more dresses I bought at my local thrift that I post on here. You guys are awesome!

9. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Excellent, you will love the books !, its SO easy to get addicted to the forums and resources here but- gosh 7 hours! :wow22: I hope you have had dinner now though :)
    Have fun and I hope we see your other images in the future.

10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes as Gayle says, check out the VFG Bookshops from the Amazon menu, you will find loads of recommended books on vintage fashion, and they are organized by different categories, so you can find what you are most interested in!

11. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

With the velvet dots and trim, I could see that being marketed as an cocktail dress in the 9os, so the label would make some sense.

12. lavivintagefinds

I contacted Dior and sent them the pictures of the dress and they said they will look into it. If it's a genuine label, i'd like to add it to the Label Resource.

13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Extremely cute dress! I can absolutely see this as a cocktail dress, the velvet detailing makes it less day-dress-y. Just add sheer black tights and some black killer heels :). Early 90s is probably the right dating.

Karin

14. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Lavi your label is missing off London which is not unique must it must mean something like it was not sold in London only New York and Paris

15. joules

joules VFG Member

Lavi, such a neat dress. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

I'm concerned about the stain between the buttons, and with the wool content, if you know what I'm saying. I'd get this dress into the freezer, or to your trusted dry cleaning establishment, right away, to minimize potential damage.

16. lavivintagefinds

Thank you guys for all the replies! I greatly apreciate your help.
    Joules, this dress doesn't have any buttons, but I'm assuming you are referring to the black velvet polka dots. I'm usually pretty picky with my photos but I was in such a hurry that night that I just wanted to put the pics up. I took these photos with my iPhone and uploaded them from there. It looks like a stain because of the close up and the lighting I had at the moment. The dress doesn't even look like it's been worn at all and the only "flaw" I can see is that tiny imperfection in the material in the close up.

17. joules

joules VFG Member

That's what I get from viewing photos when I'm half asleep, on my phone!
    Duh.

That's reassuring news. Nonetheless, I'd still make haste to the cleaners, with this nice dress.

18. lavivintagefinds

Ay, I don't know if I'd trust any of the people around here. I live in a pretty unknown town, 60 miles west of Palm Springs, California (60 miles east of LA) and I don't know any *good* ones around. I'll have to start looking!!

19. joules

joules VFG Member

In the meantime, I'd advise a double deep freeze, to be on the safe side.

20. lavivintagefinds

How do you do that?! :puzzled: