1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cleaning rayon? novelty print dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

hello hoping to get some info on how to clean this dress. thinking it may be rayon? not 100% sure. also not sure of decade, was thinking 30's / 40's. any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1770.JPG IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1767.JPG IMG_1771.JPG

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a great novelty print. It looks late 30s or early 40s to me. Can't tell for sure without seeing it on a mannequin or body.
    Are there shoulder pads and if so could we have a photo of them.

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

What is the cleaning issue? Spots? Stains? Smell? Armpits? And can you show us a full length shot to help with dating?

4. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thank you both very much! There are shoulder pads - I'll attach some better photos of the dress. The cleaning issue is general soiling - there is some heavy discoloration to neckline area mainly.

IMG_1805.JPG IMG_1804.JPG IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1802.JPG

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

My feeling is late 1940s. If you hand wash, be sure to take the shoulder pads out first. The padding gets soaked and then can take forever to dry, leaving rings on the garment.

Aimee and Jonathan like this.
  6. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Going to give it a go! Wish me luck : )