1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning velvet

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by helsbells, Aug 21, 2005.

1. helsbells

helsbells Registered Guest

I have two lovely black velvet dresses, one 40's and
    one 50's, but unfortunately they both have white marks in the underarms.

Does anyone know how I can safely get these out? And any other general tips on cleaning velvet?

thanks in advance!

2. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

That would probably be deodorant. I've heard you can use unscented baby wipes on deodorant, but haven't tried it. And you'll have to be careful with the nap of the velvet. I would probably spring for drycleaning on these myself. Do you have pictures?

Jody

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Is this silk velvet or rayon velvet?

That may make a difference.

Also, are the white marks just on the inside, or does it go all the way through?

4. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

Have you tried vacuuming with a canister/wand? May suck up some white flakies.
    Be gentle, though.
    Jenn

5. I know this one!! Rub very vigourously with an old nylon stocking. Keep moving around to a clean area of the stocking. It should take it out! You may have to work like 20 minutes on each underarm but it will do it!

6. ohhh great tip! Never hear that before about nylon stockings.

And some more notes about velvet cleaning:

Don't dry clean with stains in the velvet as the cleaning process will only serve to set the stains further! Buy wisely.

Musty odor?? Bury...... yes bury.... your velvet dress in CLEAN UNSCENTED cat litter for a few days! When you pull it out the musty odor will be gone. Dust/vacume her off and then you can send off for drycleaning! I have done this many times.... results is amazing! I have done this with lots of purses too.

Cold Air fluff in dryer takes out oodles of dust and "shines up" the velvet!

and did we mention...... vacume with that round brush?????

:USETHUMBUP:

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Have you tried a Q-tip with a wee dab of alcohol or latex-paint solvent on it? I've found that sometimes works, but I found out the hard way to test on an obscure seam first, as sometimes the color itself will come out with alcohol.... The latex-paint solvent (I use "Oops") usually works for me for just about any type of stain. If you cannot get all the white marks out, I'd try using a black permanent marker designed for fabric only--not just a permanent general-purpose marker--broad tip, and very lightly cover them up. These markers can do wonderful things on black fabric, the ink is permanent, and it, if you use it just so, blends right into the original color. It does not compromise the piece at all. I touched up a dress recently at the underam area, and even I can't tell where I did it.... Of course, this wouldn't work for a very large area, but for what you are describing, I'd say it would be a suitable use!

8. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Very interesting.

I have a very old velvet handbag I am wondering if any of this will remedy the "shiney" areas from where it was carried the most.

9. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

FWIW, I touched up a black fabric purse--not velvet, though--with a fabric marker where it was worn & shiny around the frame area. Turned out pretty well; not perfect, but it toned down the shininess quite a bit, and really made the bag look a lot nicer. And you couldn't tell where it was touched up. HTH!