1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning velvet....

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by emmapeelpants, Sep 29, 2004.

1. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Can anyone advise on how best to wash a velvet dress? I should really know this by now, but I really do NOT want to ruin this dress as I'm 99% certain it's an Ossie (yes, it's happened again !!) :(

Any advice gratefully received!!!

2. artisannes

artisannes VFG Member VFG Past President

Dry clean!!! Don't wash

3. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Nyaghhhhhhh, I was hoping to avoid my drycleaners. I swear they take my money and do sweet nothing with my dresses.....

No way of gently hand-washing??? *hopes in vain* :(

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Nope - you will ruin the velvet. They used to say cotton velveteen was washable, but it never looks as good once you have. And rayon and silk will be ruined. The pile will be crushed, the fabric will be wrinkled without hope of ever being smooth again, and it will shrink.

Been there and done that for theatre work when we washed velvet to age and distress it.

Maybe try a different cleaners?

Holllis

5. artisannes

also you can bet your bottom dollar the colour will run - where are you in London - I have a dry cleaner in the Wimbledon/Merton Area who does loads of vintage - i.e. he does mine :)

6. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Ooh I can get there fairly easily, what's the name? Are they reasonable in pricing terms? Thanks!! :)

7. artisannes

Not quite sure where they are cos they collect and deliver - I phone them on
    020 8540 1101
    and they are called VADS
    I think their rates are reasonable in comparison to everyone else.

8. Wow, I want a drycleaners who will pick and deliver to me out here in mountains?? Think yours will cross the pond for me??

:D Maureen