1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Closed* Help Identifying Bloomingdale's Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Audrey, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Audrey

Audrey Registered Guest

Nevermind, found it online elsewhere, thank you.

I bought a Bloomingdale's dress at a thrift store recently, judging by the tags it seems a little older. The tag reads "Made Expressly for Bloomingdales" and was all handmade in India. The zipper appears to be a nylon zipper (xxy). I'm just looking for a little more information on this dress as well as how much it might be worth. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I haven't seen any Bloomingdale's labels to compare this one with but I suspect this is a 1920's style dress from the 1980s. I would be wary it may be much more recent however, as with the hype around the recent Great Gatsby film there has been a profusion of these style of beaded dresses being manufactured to supply the current demand for them, and department stores are reknown for keeping the same label over many decades.

3. Audrey

Audrey Registered Guest

Thanks! My only reasoning for not thinking it was recent was that I was unable to find any other pictures of the dress on the Bloomingdale's website or around the internet. And with the Gatsby style dresses being so popular lately, I was expecting to find at least some pictures of the dress somewhere.

4. Hi Audrey, and welcome to the forums.

As per the forum rules, we can't help you with values but if you look for similar things online you should get an idea.

I agree that your dress is likely to be quite modern. It could be '80s, or '90s, or even more recently - the Label Resource doesn't have any Bloomingdales labels but I searched etsy and found similar labels in items from the late '70s, '80s and early '90s. It's possible the label was used more recently than that too (Etsy doesn't encourage modern fashions).

Gatsby style fashions have been popular for the last couple of years, but there was a lot of Indian beaded fashions in the early to mid '90s too.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

This looks more like a top to an evening ensemble than it does a dress. The flaps on the bottom look as if they fall around the pelvis?

6. I had that thought, too Barbara - if it is a dress, it's rather short, but I can see it worn over a plain skirt or pants.