1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothes Steamer Advice

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by sarah-jane, Sep 21, 2007.

1. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Hot on the heels of my posh utility question, here's something else I need advice on! It's about time I invested in a clothes steamer - ironing is just too nerve wracking. The question is - which one, cos they're not cheap.

Here in the UK, Propress seem to be the professional choice but they are eye-wateringly expensive (£400 new, and even second-hand vaguely described ones on ebay go for around £200, which is a lot when you're not even sure it works properly). There are plenty of cheapy versions around but are they any good?

I found a US site (allbrands) that sells Jiffy steamers, and even with v high shipping costs they're still cheaper than buying over here. Does anyone have one? And should I push the boat out and get one with a metal nozzle, rather than plastic?

I'd be using it pretty much daily, and I'd rather buy one that lasts...but I'd rather not spend £400!!

Thanks again, sarah-jane

2. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Hi Sarah- Jane

I'm in the same boat as you! I need a steamer but unfortunately, they don't seem to be as popular overhere than they are in the US:puzzled:
    I bought a Jiffy from Price-drop TV 2 years ago and had to send it back as it spit badly over everything and they didn't have anymore in stock to exchange for another one.

You will have to becareful buying a steamer from the US as the plugs and voltage is different. Even if you have an adaptor to change the plug shape, the voltage here is MUCH higher so it will blow the steamer out.
    Even if they sell ones with UK voltage and plugs, if anything goes wrong with it, do you really fancy paying the high shipping it will cost to send it back?

Lei

3. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

They offer UK voltage as an option Lei, but you're right, the thought of shipping it back to the States if it spits over my treasures is not appealing! They do seem well-versed in UK shipping though, which made me think lots of us are doing it...although maybe there's lots of people putting up with spitty steamers!

I think they're getting more popular over here; Argos are stocking one, which must be an indicator. Whether it's any good or not though...

Any more advice gratefully received!

Thanks, sarah-jane

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I have a the smaller Jiffy and it does well. But I have to watch the height of the nozzle. If I hold it down near the floor the steam will condense back to water before it has a chance to rise. So I hang the garments high on a door or peg when steaming

Hollis

5. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Have you seen that Pressa Bella iron on TV? I wonder how it works.

I have a large Jiffy that I purchased at the thrift when they purchased a new one. I have used it a few times but really prefer my little hand held one from the 70s. There is usually some sold on Ebay. I will see if I can find one for you.

It spits sometimes but what I have found to be the solution is to cover the head with an old stocking or cut off the foot of a pair of panty hose. No more spitting problems!

6. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Is this the one you mean Sarah?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0890887.htm

Hmm, I may just buy one when I get some extra cash! I have a condenser dryer so I will used the distilled water that collects in the tank to fill up the steamer this time. We have hard water where we are and I'm just wondering if it was that which was causing my last steamer to spit. I always get loads of limescale on my iron too.

Lei

7. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Hollis, do you mean the little hand-held Esteam or the smaller of the big machines (J2000 I think).

That's good advice about preventing spitting Linda and would be most interested in your 70s steamer (although guess they'll be the wrong voltage for us). Steaming vintage clothes with a vintage steamer though - I like it!

Yes Lei, that's the one. These usually appear on ebay for a bit less (there's a couple at the mo). I dunno, looks cheap and plasticy to me. And hard water! :rolleyes: Me too. Hadn't thought of that.

sarah-jane

8. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

I've been using a Conair for a few years. As long as you keep them clean and run the water out every time, and don't overfill, the small inexpensive ones do a fairly good job. Pretty lightweight, too!

9. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

10. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Clothes Steamer Advice - Update!

One for Lei...

I was happily watching a Conair steamer on ebay when up popped a Propress with a really reasonable BIN price (2 figures instead of 3!). So I bit the bullet. Only had it for a week or so, so can't comment on its longevity, but in every other way I love it. It's worked wonders on a velvet suit that looked like it had been screwed up in a ball under someone's bed for the last 30 years! Ten minutes with the steamer and it's as good as new.

Mine isn't one of the current models, but these look like they're built to last. So start saving your pennies Lei!

Sarah