1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion about dating ILGWU labels

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by modamuzesi, Aug 29, 2019.

1. modamuzesi

modamuzesi Registered Guest

ILGWU labels always have been very helpful to date garments. However, recently I came by a piece that made me confused.

I have a Pauline Trigere dress with red & blue ILGWU label. Based on the on the information in the Label Resource I was dating it 1974 or later, although I was thinking it should be from early 70's instead if mid-70's.

Recently I came by the original runway photo and surprised to find out that, actually, it's from Resort 1972 collection.

So, is it possible that it was in use before 1974?

Attached Files:

Mollzonmarz likes this.
  2. modamuzesi

modamuzesi Registered Guest

Any thoughts ?

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Somebody else recently questioned why we have the dates we do on the ILGWU tags. I remember at the time those dates were based on something researched, not just guessed at, but of course the research itself could have been wrong, and I can't remember who did the research or what they had read. That's great that you have evidence of an earlier use for that label. It certainly warrants re-researching the tag.

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Hmmm... I would think it unlikely for Pauline Trigere, and at that time. Resort collections are released at the end of the year, after the fall colletion, so the stock would have been made in the fall of 1972 for resale during the winter of 1972/73. That narrows the difference a bit...