1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corsetry Exhibit!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by crinolinegirl, Sep 1, 2004.

1. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Presenting.... My antique corsetry exhibit at Belgrave Hall! I met with the museum staff today and the dates of my exhibit have been finalized to run from October 4th to the 17th, 2004. There will be corsets, bustles, hoops and other interesting support undergarments as well as related ephemera ranging from the 1820's right up to 1920.
    There will even be a corset making workshop on October 9 & 10 given by the excellent corset maker, Ian Chipperfield. (please see his website for more info on his workshops: http://www.geocities.com/staymaker/

Ian and I are working on the possibility of giving a talk as well but dates have to be confirmed as well.

Belgrave Hall is a beautiful 18th century mansion here in Leicester (England) which is supposidly haunted by a lady wearing a green Victorian dress, maybe I'll get the chance to see her while setting up! :) LOL, then i'll be able to date her costume accurately ;)

Here is the museum site complete with address, phone number and opening times:
    http://www.leicestermuseums.ac.uk/museums/belgravehall.html

Entrance is free but I am doing this for the museum so a donation to the museum would be greatly appreciated as the Leicester City council is always threatening the closure of museums due to "lack of interest from the public".

So if anyone will be around during the exhibit, please come and pay a visit. For those in the UK, you HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO COME! :D

If you need anymore info, please feel free to contact me here by U2U or email me at [email protected]
    Thanks! :)

Lei

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

What a great announcement. This is fantastic, Lei!!!

3. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

I promise to take lots and lots of photos for those who can't make it :)

Lei

4. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

I'd LOVE to be able to make it! It sounds exciting! And yes - we want pictures!

Deb

5. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

How exciting, Lei! From what I've seen of it (I'm sure just a fraction of the whole) your collection is stunning and your scholarship is too. OK, so maybe I'm not <i>quite</i> enough of an authority to judge the scholarship part, but hey, the museum's with me on that one!

I would love to be able to see the exhibition, and who knows? I'm always up for a trip to the UK :) But in the event that I must send my regrets, I'll be all over the photos you'll take and (post). You must be so thrilled about this - I am! - and so proud of yourself too. Oops, I forgot (for a half-second) that you're British - there'll be no pride, thank you very much! Well perhaps in the dead of night, quietly...Yipeee!!!

:)

Carolyn

6. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Lei that is absolutely wonderful. How lucky to be able to do this.

The museum looks lovely.

Maybe that ghost will be there looking over your corsets.

7. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

Oh my gosh! Congrats Lei!!!

I'll be sure to add your exhibit to the VFG Upcoming Vintage Clothing Events page after I get back from my weekend holiday!

How proud you must be (I know I am proud for you!!).

8. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Lei,
    Considering how much I've learned from your website, I can just imagine how wonderful this exhibit is. I just wish I WERE going to be in the UK in October!

Lizzie

9. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

I'm really looking forward to doing this, Belgrave Hall is one of my FAV places here in Leicester. It has such a great atmosphere and lovely gardens and even stables complete with a stone mounting block which were built in 1710!
    There is even an ancient church from the 13th century right next door complete with an OLD graveyard.
    It will be so cool seeing all my stuff in such a historic setting when I'm so used to seeing everything piled in stacking boxes! :)
    Think I may even get dressed up in one of my antique dresses and come to the museum and see if I can't "evoke the ghosts of the past", LOL!

Don;t worry if you can't come, I shall take LOTS of photos!

Lei