1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cushion triple.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by IainSanders, Jun 20, 2021.

1. IainSanders

IainSanders Registered Guest

I'm new to this site, but have some inherited textiles I would sometime like to find out more about - mainly likely dates.. Some cushions have covers-within-covers - here is one that had two with a final pad, newest on the right. That cover looks pretty 'modern', perhaps mid 1900s, the middle, earlier, perhaps 1920s - & the pad with fishscale pattern - ??!! As can be seen it's full of feathers, what sort I wonder..? The fabric is extremely thin & fragile, but I like the dazzle look of it. Could it originally have been used as-is, uncovered? Lastly, I'm afraid it does pong somewhat! I'd guess at least 100 years old by now.. Many thanks indeed for any opinions on them.

Attached Files:

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Welcome to the VFG. What an intriguing question. They all appear 20C. to me. The floral pattered one on the far right looks like it is from the 1960s or early 1970s. It's difficult to see the other two clearly. Could you take a photo in natural light of the other two and we can try to help you date them.

3. IainSanders

Dear Linn,

Many thanks, I think you have it right with the first one - my parents moved to a larger house in 1959 & had to get a new lounge suite. I have very faint memories of the pattern then. I shall take individual photos of the other two when we have some direct sunlight (on Skye - pretty good lately).

Regards, Iain.

PS. I'll add a third cushion-cover pic; now I think there were different original cusion covers & the floral one was slipped over them later - perhaps closer to the 70s.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  4. IainSanders

Derar Linn,

Sorry to have taken so long - but another thing ocurred that you might be able to help with dating? I took a photo of it today in the sunny garden.. The story goes - my mother's family in Lanarkshire had a close friend who was personal maid to Lady Haddington through Victorian times to the 20th Cent. The Haddingtons are one of Scotland's great families of course & have a huge stately home, & a town house in London. That particular Lady H was a close friend of Queen Victoria's & indeed one of her Ladies-in-Waiting. She would pass on old clothes to her staff & in turn they would pass some on to their own friends & that's how I come to have this! Is it a - gilet?? It could date from Vic. times to later on.. Excellent condition of soft supple red leather. The lining appears not to be silk but some artificial perhaps viscose material & may be a goodish indicator of age. It's very small & perhaps that's why it hasn't been worn much. The buttons feel plastic-y.. So it has long been a puzzle just what period this is from - if you could provide any enlightenment I would be most grateful! Thanks. Iain S.

Attached Files:

• lhj.jpg
      lhj.jpg
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views: