1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date check on green wool jacket, 40s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Oct 28, 2011.

1. I agree with the remake of at least the collar and am thinking it could have possibly been a part of a theatre wardrobe. Not to say it isn't genuine from the 40's, but to say that it may have been repurposed by a costume designer for specific productions.

2. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

This jacket possibly part of a suit has been altered, that is clear. Having said that it is not "too fancy" for wartime WWII. In Britain from 1942 , the Incorporated Society of London Fashion Designers produced many designs that defied rationing by the use of creative cutting and tailoring. The curved shape welt pockets - are they real pockets? - are pretty typical of early 1940's tailoring as is the front 2 button fastening feature on the front of the jacket. All the buttons may be wooden discs - again a nod to rationing. It could have been a collarless jacket or stand-up collar originally but it is a bit hard to tell.

3. Ruth, you need to remove the collar completely so we can see the shape - certainly now that I look at your pics, you can see that it doesn't sit very well at the back of the neck, and I like your idea that the skirt may have been cut up to provide it - you can see the lining.

I recently blogged about a '50s coat dress that had a funny collar, and I removed it - you can see the post here.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi and thanks to all,

Thanks vertugarde for the early 40s date on the curved pockets and front buttons, that was my feeling but I hoped someone more experienced would weigh in. Yes all three are real pockets, made from the same green wool inside. By feel and weight the button disks could certainly be wood. Thanks too for WWII info - my 'too fancy' comment was only a guess. There is of course no reason to assume this is British, I see plenty of vintage from other countries.

Great blog post Nicole - I read it when you posted it. I'm not sure I have the courage to remove the collar! I'm worried what's underneath may be damaged, and I don't know if I could put it back so skillfully. It does feel and look like a collarless jacket underneath. There is also the issue of the curved front hem, which I couldn't restore to it's original, presumably square, shape, though perhaps that wouldn't matter.

Regarding the skirt being used, I've been reading a British 1940s sewing book full of tips on how to remake clothes into other clothes using the less worn parts, which is why I thought of that. Otherwise it's hard to imagine where they would have got enough material to make the collar.

I will have a think about whether to remove or sell as is. I am curious to see what's underneath! If I sell as is I feel I can say it's probably an early 40s jacket that has had the collar added, been relined, perhaps in the late 40s. The lining, by the way, is entirely handstitched.

5. If you're reselling the jacket, I would do as you say and just give all the info you've recieved. Although I am just dying to see what's under that collar, I can understand being aprehensive about it. I would think though that it was repurposed for style vs. damage due to the condition of the rest of the jacket, but of course there is no way to be sure. Although you've got recommendations of early 40's to late 40's, it's definitely safe to put it as generically 40's in your listing and be accurate. With an altered product such as this, it's going to be difficult to pin point within a few years the dating until it's completely restored to it's original shape.

6. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

I wouldn't risk ruining a perfectly wearable jacket. I'd happily buy this with full disclosure (and if it's my size of course!). And I'm super pernickity on authenticity...if I'm happy with the info and the jacket as is, 99.9% of your buyers will be too.

Sarah

7. Retro Ruth

Oh dear, now I really don't know what to do! I'm very tempted to see under the collar, but probably shouldn't risk it... nor take the time over it, and rephotographing, etc.

I'm fairly sure, having it in my hands, what kind of collar is under there, it's just whether it will end up looking as good as it does now.

I was swinging towards taking the collar off, and now I'm swinging back.

I'll probably be sensible and list as it is. hmmm....

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Sarah and Amber. Sell it "as is" and just disclose what you know. I would never be able to reattach a collar and wouldn't even dream of trying it!

9. Retro Ruth

Thanks everyone. I'm going to resist temptation and sell as is.

10. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Love the watermelon red lining!

Melody

11. Retro Ruth

Thanks! though it's really a deep pink.

12. grazia83

grazia83 Registered Guest

Stunning!