1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date & description Help on Dorothy O'Hara Dress. UPDATED BETTER PICTURES

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by PodVintage, Jun 29, 2011.

1. PodVintage

PodVintage Alumni

Date & description Help on Dorothy O\'Hara Dress. UPDATED BETTER PICTURES

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this is late 40's early 50's wiggle dress. Would the details be tucks/folds or is there a better term for it? Thanks.

Adrianne

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Again its hard to tell without seeing it mounted, but I would think later 50s because of that awful skin tone colour and all the pleats in the waist area.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

It sure looks much better on the manny! I wouldn't call it a wiggle dress though.

B

4. bycin

bycin Guest

Personally, I'm getting tired of the term "wiggle dress." Who actually says that? No real life vinty I know here in the states, just on ebay.

Where did it come from?

5. "Wiggle" is an ebay term, that really took off. It's overused, and wasn't used in any historical sense, as far as I can tell.

The general definition is that the hem needs to be smaller than the hips, so the wearer wiggles when she walks - but many people apply it to anything that doesn't have a full skirt.

I agree with '50s and really like the pleated detail.

Nicole

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, what I can say from personal experience, even a 1950s straight skirt that doesn't look very tight on a hanger makes me wiggle if it's long enough below the knee. I think the term is overused...

Karin

7. bycin

bycin Guest

Nicole, you said it - over used and misused! I've seen it and used to describe everything from patio skirts to pleated skirts. Curses that ebay. ha ha

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I agree that it is way way overused, just like the term "TILT" hat is used incorrectly and way too much.

I first used the term wiggle dress back in 1997 when I first started selling vintage on line. Next thing I knew, more and more sellers started using it. And now....forget it! I know I was certainly not the first one to use that term...but I seldom saw it used online until about 8-10 years ago.

A wiggle dress is one of those things that you know it when you see it, but it defies a simple explanation based only on measurements. It also has to have a "look"..and be sexy or flirty too.

I don't use it in a title anymore.

I defined the term differently than others.....I always inferred that it meant that the dress was so very form fitting in the skirt, and usually snug all over (SNUG is key) that you literally had to wiggle your way into it...and wiggle out of it. To me, it was not really the way it made you walk, as actually a woman wiggles MORE when she is not as snugly confined. A true wiggle dress will make you walk a certain way that is for sure, usually with more of a sway to the hips...maybe we should call them "SWAY" dresses! But I agree when a woman sways her hips, her rear end does wiggle! giggle...Ha ha.

But I also agree it certainly does effect a womans walk, and she tends to just "wiggle it" herself more when she wear one!

Anyway...I am rambling.

B:sunshine:

9. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Even though some ebay auctions are being reported and removed, MAD MEN is being used in auction titles instead of Vintage. Way overused IMHO

10. bycin

bycin Guest

Wiggle. Mad Men. Let's abolish them then. ha ha

11. PodVintage

PodVintage Alumni

oh the terms these kids use now adays is beyond me! :USING: