1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date/Fabric Help???

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kevinjohnnyc, Jul 18, 2004.

1. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

Great 50s/early 60s ??? shirt-dress with original belt, Never worn but with no care label, And any idea what this fabric might be? I'm guessing some kind of nylon. It's definitely an artificial fabric. Has bumpy horizontal texture. Kinda sheer, but not see through.

Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Vintagetrend

Vintagetrend Registered Guest

Hi there,
    Well, bloomingdales started up in 1860 so the store name does not help us date it!
    It is a Butte and looks as if it is nylon blend, I know exactly what you mean by the fabric...
    I would actually date this a bit later, mid-70s perhaps.
    This should do REALLY well with the polka dots and the lipstick red, which you captured fabulously by the way. Red is a real doozy for me to pick up with my camera, it always turns out a orange shade.
    This certainly is classic though and I love that the skirt is a straight if not slightly tapered cut...
    I am sorry I could not help you any more then this but just thought I would pop in and tell ya how much I like it, great with the patent leather belt as well...

Maybe someone else will come along with a more definitive date

Michelle

3. Well, I was just thinking later, too. I surely do love it and part of my thought on dating is that I had one that looked just like it in 1979. It was my pride and joy and I definitely noticed heads turning when I wore it. :) I noticed serging on the interior seam of the sleeve, in the sleeve close-up shot, too.

I'm sorry I'm of no help on the fabric. Without your description of the horizontal texture, it looked like a jersey to me, in the tag close-up shot. I believe Butte is a nice label, too.

...also looking forward to hearing others' thoughts.

Steph

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks late 70s to me. The wide stitchdowned cuff with button trim is typical and the way the top blousons. I have heard of Butte knits, and it looks like a knitted jersey in the close-up pic of the label. The punch card label is typical of late 60s - early 70s as well, not quite sure when they started and stopped, but if I had to guess I would say mid 60s to late 70s, so that kind of fits in with the everything else.

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I am only familiar with Butte Knits for their wool and synthetic knit suits, which are heavier weight that that. This label says Butte and every other label i have seen says Butte Knits so perhaps they had a heavier knit collection and a regular collection? I have no clue whatsoever.

6. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

Thanks for all the help guys. That's why I included the tag, I thought that the look of the tag would help date it. The skirt did seem rather slim for late 50s-early 60s. You guys really know your stuff!