1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a silk dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Feb 18, 2018.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

This dress is a mystery to me. I think it's brand new. I thought it was vintage when I bought it. I thought maybe it might be home made, which would account for its lack of label, but it does have a lot tag and that belt seems professionally made. I looked up what's written on the tag and found a simplicity pattern from the 60s that seems similar to this dress. Maybe it's a professionally made simplicity pattern? Thanks for your help!

IMG_8246.JPG IMG_8247.JPG IMG_8249.JPG IMG_8250.JPG IMG_8251.JPG IMG_8252.JPG IMG_8253.JPG IMG_8263.JPG IMG_8264.JPG

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It's professionally made, probably by a job lot manufacturer who is contracted to make lines for retailers, like department stores. Their dresses are often not labelled, because they are labelled by the retailer, not the manufacturer. Sometimes they are not labelled at all. It looks early 60s to me, c. 62-64ish. A modern manufacturer wouldn't dare use that font for the pure silk label!

3. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you very much!