1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a slinky black dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, May 22, 2019.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I would have thought this was homemade if not for the label. Someone did add some sewing to it at some point because they used baby blue thread and that sewing is all around the back center piece. The seams are splitting everywhere else so maybe someone tried fixing that at the back and did a lousy job because the fabric puckers. Or maybe they replaced that whole piece. All the seams are unfinished, no pinking. There are side snaps on the left. The halter ties are velvet. It has a short slit on one side and a longer one on the other. There are short darts at the bust that I think I got a picture of. The label is sewn inside the front instead of at the back. I couldn’t find anything on the label. Thanks for your help!

DDCE6C4C-2098-4400-B55D-D446F8BDE369.jpeg 82AFDD20-EDE3-4FA1-AC5B-11DDF192B5C9.jpeg A46175FA-2E3B-42C0-9602-50975C68FCED.jpeg 172C1BFE-BD6F-4D75-AE71-5BC53E5D50FF.jpeg 46612931-B373-4499-B7EB-D65E75728D0B.jpeg 8BC73016-BD65-4D09-A51B-DC8927D6698E.jpeg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Perhaps someone altered it in the 1970s to make it sexier? It looks 30s to me, but the label has been sewn back in rather badly, and the dress would have had a matching bolero or jacket at one point. It seems extremely low cut in the back for the 30s - that's getting into crack territory...

3. acceber

acceber VFG Member

That cracked me up, no pun intended. lol

I wish there was a way to know what it looked like before and possibly restore it somehow.

4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I think that whole center back section was an addition. I’ve been staring at it, contemplating it and it makes sense. For one, I suspect the fabric in the back is different. It gave off a weird smell when I ironed it and the rest of the dress did not. The back seams are actually on the outside of the dress. Who does that?? And they’re puckered. Horrible sewing job, using blue thread instead of black. So I used a pin and pinned the back together at the two seams on either side of the back section. It makes the dress have an obvious waist and it brings the back up to a more modest appearance. It also allows the darts at the bust to sit properly on the dress form.

I think I will remove that center piece and sew it together properly.

A6E72331-FF90-473A-880B-7D4533DE1366.jpeg 3F48BCF9-E114-4E23-8D6B-1645A35D4FE3.jpeg

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Could the straps have actually been reg straps and not been made to tie around the neck?
    I get a feeling of a 1930s slip to go under a gown before it was altered

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I don’t know if the straps are accurate, especially as I’m pretty sure they aren’t original to the dress, but I can say you’re average slip type straps wouldn’t work here either.

The further into it I get, the more damage I see. The person who altered this dress was incredibly careless and destructive. I’ll do my darndest to save it.

I do have one question. The uneven side slits at the bottom of this dress - is that right? There is no sign that it was ever stitched closed to the hem. I wasn’t sure if I should leave them as is or sew them closed. I don’t suppose it matters at this point, but if someone tells me they didn’t have side slits in the 30s, I’ll sew the skirt closed.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Looks MUCH better with the back pinned in. I can't think of any dresses with side slits in the 30s, although I have seen them with inserted gores in the sides and back. However, I wouldn't say that was necessarily wrong, but they should be even - they wouldn't have been more open on one side than the other. Side slits are definitely around in the 40s, and this dress could be just into the early 40s. Evening gown manufacture is banned in England after February 1942 (CC41 rule), and as this is a manufactured dress it couldn't date after then, unless it was postwar (I never found when the evening gown ban was repealed, but they were being made again by 1946), however, side snaps would be unusual for postwar.

9. I am afraid I still see it as an under slip. The back looks like it was dramatically dipped. If it was at its correct height, the reg straps would work.
    I have had slips with fasteners.
    Some one did make a mess of this piece

10. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

I have to agree with " Another Time Vintage" I think it was a slip to a gown that has been altered.

11. acceber

acceber VFG Member

There is some very neat and professional machine sewing all along the front of the dress. This professional sewing extends under the arms and around to the back and stops where the person added that back insert piece. This tells me that the person who altered it so badly didn’t lower the back any further down than it was originally. Whew! All the sewing throughout the dress is that same professional looking sewing, all with the same black thread. All the alterations were very badly sewn and in light blue thread. This leads me to believe it was originally a halter style garment. To fix it, I just had to undo any light blue stitching. Unfortunately that light blue stitching was very small and tight and the fabric is so fragile. I managed to pick all of it out, with many a murderous thought towards that unknown person while I did. lol

12. I am staying with the slip. Most gowns had slips made to match the style of the gowns. The best ex I could find
    [​IMG]

Thats my story and I am sticking to it. lol
    I have and had slips with low backs to accommodate the gowns

Lady Scarletts and acceber like this.
  13. acceber

acceber VFG Member

lol I have a sheer 1930s overdress that needs something under it. This would have been perfect without a halter top! I wish it looked like that one!

14. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Come to think of it, it’s quite possible you are right because the fabric is so thin. I would’ve thought it would have something heavier if it were a dress.