1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a turban hat, LL Hat Shoppe

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retrorebel, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Retrorebel

Retrorebel Registered Guest

I'm intrigued by a hat I acquired recently and was hoping to find out more about the label, LL Hat Shoppe. It is a black silk velvet turban and at first glance I had thought 1930s, but the label looks older... Would love to hear your thoughts! (Label also says the company was founded in 1899 in Milwaukee, WI.) Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a very attractive hat. I think we need to see more photos of the hat, one taken at a face front angle would help. The hat looks very early 1930s to me, possibly very late 1920s (1929) but I am leaning more to early to even mid 1930s. I doubt it is older than that, despite the older label, as the shop used what labels they had in stock.

The label is not familiar to me, but we have a few members here with access to industry ads and research who can dig in deeper on the label. Maybe they will come along and help.

3. Retrorebel

Retrorebel Registered Guest

Thank you! I've added a frontal photo as well. Yes, using up old labels makes sense. I have a few others that are similar from the 30s, but without the large roll of fabric at the front. I couldn't find many photos of Edwardian era turbans online and was curious to compare.

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Now that you added another photo of the front, and if your model/bust is true to life sized, the turban is a bit larger in scale than I originally thought. Hard to say exactly, but I do believe it is 1930s, could be early, could be late in the decade. Possibly even very early 1940s. The style is so classic. It is definitely not Edwardian. The interior construction is definitely post 1920s, and that style of turban was not popular in the Edwardian era. I really do love your hat, it is a great example.

Retrorebel likes this.