1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating an old hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Apr 1, 2018.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I bought this hat at an estate sale the other day, in a box with a bunch of 1950s hats. I suspect this hat is older. I also think it's mostly hand made. The flowers are silk. I'm not sure what the fur is. Any idea as to how old it is? Thank you!

IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0205.JPG IMG_0206.JPG IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0208.JPG IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0211.JPG

2. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

I love this hat. I"m looking forward to hearing what our hat experts say about this one.

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

That hat should be worn tilted askew and a bit to the front, not "flat atop" on the head. Looks milliner made (vs commercially made) and 1940s.

4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

If it should be worn forward and tilted, should the band go across the back of the head to counter balance it?
    Marian

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

This is an odd hat. Hard for me to say, but my first thought is that it is a young girl's winter hat, possibly the flowers were added at a later date. The fur looks like some sort of faux fur? I cannot say when it was made, unless I perhaps could handle it. Maybe mid century? It looks altered as well. I am not seeing this as a woman's tilt hat. A home made hat to match a girl's winter coat, is my guess. Looks sort of like a beret style with ear flaps.

Can you show us the entire interior of the hat, please? And maybe a photo of it laid on its side, flat?

6. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I don't see it as a tilt hat either. It snaps under the chin and it would be impossible to adjust it. I think it is a faux fur. Also, the flowers are original to it as they are made out of the exact same silk as the chin strap. I turned it inside out as best as I could and got pics of the inside. I also got pics of the fur backing. I discovered what may have been a label at some point, unless it's a loop sewn in for some reason.

IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0247.JPG

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

IMG_0252.JPG

There is writing on the snap, if that helps.

8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Yes. Band will go along the back.

9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I know you all say no tilt but with that bow placement it reads as tilt. The *weight* is off unless tilted... unless it was made for someone with a particular hair do that off sets it.

10. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Do I have it right? I think the back looks kind of odd. I'm going to try pressing the flowers so they're more flowery.

IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0256.JPG

11. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I can see now why it should sit the way you are saying. There's only about 3" between the flaps in the back, and almost 7" in the front. You think it would be a mistake to try washing it? Not in the washer, obviously, but maybe by hand?

12. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I would only steam it. No washing. ; )

acceber likes this.
  13. I too think this started out as a childs hat, maybe Edwardian, and was altered. It still looks odd to me with the tilt back strap

14. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I started out thinking it was an Edwardian era child's hat too. It sits far more comfortably and neatly just put on straight and snapped under the chin. I measured it at 20" which also makes me think it might be for a child.

15. Attirelyvintage

Attirelyvintage Registered Guest

PRYM is a German company dating back to 1559. I usually find items with Prym zippers that are from the 1950s to 1970s here in Canada.
    I unfortunately don't know anything else about the hat.

16. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

After you steam out the flowers, try tilting it slightly to the right side, to open up the blooms. In your last photo you have it tilted to the left. Yes, 20 inches around is a tiny size for an adult head. Unless it was meant to sit in some strange way atop the hair, but then the tsraps would not work properly.

Its an odd one!

17. Looks to me like a winter bonnet for a child. Faux fur. Adult hats don't snap under the chin. I think it looks just like you see on image of little girls skating on a frozen pond. Bet it had a matching coat and muff.

18. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I steamed the flowers open. Also I found an old pic of kids skating and it looks like weird hats were possibly the norm back when. lol

IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0342.JPG

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  19. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

The flaps look much more natural when it's worn like that and not as a tilt with a back strap.

The Vintage Merchant and acceber like this.