1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating and insights on Saint Laurent Vintage top

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DJHerbert, Aug 6, 2020.

1. DJHerbert

DJHerbert Registered Guest

Hi from the UK all you knowledgable people. I picked up a Saint Laurent shirt/blouse recently and having done some online research haven’t come up with too much except the label seems to indicate 60s/70s. I’d love to know more. It appears to be silk, has a pussy bow and peasant style flared sleeves. Any insights would be really welcome. Thanks for your time.

The final photo posted is of the most similar shirt/blouse I’ve found by Saint Laurent.

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I see 1970s or maybe even early 1980s, and not 1960s. I'm in the UK too, I expect you'll get more insight when they start waking up across the pond.

DJHerbert likes this.
  3. DJHerbert

Many thanks. It’s kind of you to comment.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I also see late 70s.

DJHerbert and Retro Ruth like this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. I had a similar blouse, not a designer, in the early 1980s with the same design aspects.

DJHerbert likes this.
  7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I also see 70s, remains of his Peasant look.

DJHerbert likes this.
  8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

1980 to very early 1980s

DJHerbert likes this.
  9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I still see late 70s. In 1978, he was doing a LOT of ruffles, ruffled yokes, and in particular, plaid blouses with ruffles (like yours) and plaid dresses with ruffles. I might think that by the 80s he would be done with it for a while.

DJHerbert and Retro Ruth like this.
  11. DJHerbert

I want to thank you all for replying - you are such a mine of knowledge. I think I can pretty safely date the blouse to late 70’s. Thanks again for your time and expertise.

12. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member