1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating antique velvet gown - metal lace

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

hello all - any help pinpointing date on this gown would be much appreciated.

it looks very similar to a house of worth piece dated 1908 - the gown i have does not have any labels within bodice. there is metal embroidered lace beneath a sheer overlay at chest, with floral lace accenting.

thank you for your help!

antique blue front.jpg
    _MG_5572.jpg _MG_5549.jpg _MG_5547.jpg _MG_5554.jpg _MG_5548.jpg _MG_5545.jpg _MG_5574.jpg

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

1908 through to 1912 and even 1913 can look very much alike. It depends on whether its French couture, or Kansas City copy of a copy of a copy ready to wear... The skirt gradually gets tighter and the bodice less bloused, but otherwise they look a lot alike for 5 years. I suspect yours is somewhere in the middle - 1911ish

Aimee and themerchantsofvintage like this.
  3. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thanks so much for helping date the garment - based on the photos I've given and these additional photos I'm attaching would you consider this possibly french couture? or kansas city copy? it appears to have a great deal of hand finishing but no label thanks again! _MG_5575.jpg
    _MG_5550.jpg _MG_5555.jpg
    _MG_5371.jpg

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It is a very pretty garment. I am not seeing it as couture. Although having it in hand to inspect it would give more clues, it does not appear have the bells and whistles we look for.

I agree with Jonathan on the date range.

Aimee likes this.
  5. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thank you!