1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating colorful drop waist dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

This dress has me puzzled I picked it up today it’s a very vibrant drop waist dress with a 2 tiered skirt and metal back zip. the material feels old and is kind of like a gauze -y. It’s unlined and the stitching doesn’t look modern (IMO) can someone help me figure this one out?!

Attached Files:

2. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

If you live in the US and the zipper is in fact made out of metal, it probably dates back to 1963. Plastic "woven" zippers became available beginning in 1963 and beginning in 1968 every single mass produced garment had nylon coil zippers.

Link deleted by admin.

Please read our forum rules. Links to non-trade members sites are not allowed.

https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/pages/Welcome-to-the-VFG-Forums-please-read/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like it may have been seamstress or home made.

Is there any label at all like an old union label on an inside seam?

Also it looks like that 2nd black tier was an add on to the dress, can you tell if it is original to it.

Is the black also gauzy or more like an acetate satin?

4. Into the void

I have to do a full inspection when I get back but from what I initially saw no label. And the bottom tier is more like an acetate satin yes! Not gauzy at all

5. poppysvintageclothing

Thanks for confirming that about the bottom layer. I think it would look better if that were removed. Love the low v-back on it.
    Let us know if you find a label on an inner side seam.

6. Into the void

Thanks for all your help so far! No label to be found and I took the bottom layer off which was indeed an add on, looks so much better!!! I’d like to get a ball park estimate on what decade I’m looking at as it doesn’t fit me and I’d like to put it up on my Etsy! I know it’s pretty hard to determine with homemade garments....

7. Into the void

I’m going to bump this just Incase there is anymore info I could hopefully receive :) thanks!

8. poppysvintageclothing

Can you please add the photo with that bottom layer removed, thanks!

9. Into the void

Hey! Ok here it is with the bottom removed looks soooo much nicer:)

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.