1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Dior Suit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TurtleRay, Nov 24, 2018.

1. TurtleRay

TurtleRay Registered Guest

Just found this fabulous Dior suit, and I'm looking for help dating it.

It is black wool and lined, with a high collar (collar is padded in the front above the top button so it sits high), and padded hips with structured pockets. The skirt is long and straight, with 2 pockets on the hips.

Please forgive the quick sloppy photos. I've attached photos of the suit and the label.

I looked at different collections and I think it looks like the late 40s, but I'm not sure.

Also, the lining is shattered under the armpits and there is a small hole on one shoulder. Should I bother trying to repair it? I'm not a professional seamstress and don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. TurtleRay

More photos

Attached Files:

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I'd leave it alone if you are concerned abut the quality of your sewing. It can be hard to take out a repair and do it over.

Is ot really big on your mannequin? Should it fit tighter in the body? Early 50s is my thought. But others should be along shortly to weigh in.

4. TurtleRay

It is really big, I think a size large. I have the skirt pinned. The jacket should fit tight in the waist and flare out at the hips.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is one fabulous find. Lucky you! Seeing it on a full figured dress form so the lines are more defined, would help to pin down a closer date. Definitely somewhere between the very late 1940s and very early 1950s. Maybe 1950-1951? Do you know anything about where it was originally purchased?

7. TurtleRay

Thanks Barbara! We only have a Small dress form, to it was hard to photograph. I think I'm going to have to get a model.