1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dating dress - piano shawl ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

hello any help dating this dress would be much appreciated. it seems to be made from a piano shawl? or inspired by one? can anyone tell if embroidery is done by hand? it seems like it was done by hand to me. thanks so much!!

_MG_0358.jpg _MG_0372.jpg _MG_0381.jpg _MG_0383.jpg detail.jpg _MG_0390.jpg _MG_0363.jpg _MG_0352.jpg

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It sure looks like it was made from an antique shawl. I think it has nice styling. The embroidery is probably hand done, perhaps China.

Aimee likes this.
  3. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

It looks to me like a 1920's dress made from a slightly earlier (maybe even same-decade) "Canton" shawl. The shawls were made in China, with the earlier 18th Century ones mostly exported to Spain, The Phillipines and South America, and later 19th and early 20th Century ones exported to all of Europe, the U.S. and elsewhere. It's an unusual color and does look hand embroidered, though the embroidery is not particularly fine and the design pretty basic for one of these. I love those little ribbon flowers at the neckline.

Aimee likes this.
  4. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thanks so much! You've been extremely helpful :cheer: