1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating fabric

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Jun 4, 2021.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I am so excited about this find. It was in a zip loc bag at the estate sale I went to today and I snagged it on instinct. There’s about 5 yards of this silk fabric and I’m wondering if it’s possible to date it. There’s a circular stamp on both ends of it. I’m going to make a fabulous vintage style dress out of it! Thank you!

B517BAB1-7DB8-4218-B7E7-DB41B2AE243D.jpeg 706F8FA9-F2AA-4AD6-B722-6390D1181E0E.jpeg 71238BD8-4CF4-4E62-9D7C-E36B787BF9F9.jpeg

2. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I meant to add, inside the bag with this fabric was what I think is an Edwardian era cotton skirt that closes with hooks. The bag was stuck back inside a closet. Of course it means nothing. Just some interesting information. Makes me want to make sure my entire vintage collection is organized and labeled properly in case I suddenly die and turn into an estate sale. lol

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a fabulous fabric and a great find! I might date it to the late 1940s. Wow.

cmpollack and acceber like this.
  4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Is cold rayon very thin and silk-like?

I wonder, with that pattern, if it would be suitable for a reproduction 1920s dress? I’m thinking probably not...

5. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Disregard. I googled and found it is indeed very silk-like. I am woefully uneducated about fabrics. lol

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

another agree with 1940s cold rayon. yummy! congratulations!!

acceber likes this.
  8. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you!

9. 1940s cold rayon is wonderful and many of us prefer it to silk. It's a lovely fabric to wear, with great drape and unique to the era because they changed the rayon recipe in the '50s and modern rayons - which easier to wash - aren't as nice. Great find!

acceber likes this.
  10. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! I am now on a hunt for a good dress pattern to go with it!

11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Are you sure it is not silk? While cold rayon is fabulous and was used more, it could be silk. In the extreme close up of the reverse, it looks like silk to me and not really like cold rayon. Can you do a burn test on a tiny snippet?

I am sooooooooooooo jealous!