1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Identification Help On Vintage Chinese Purse Real Jade?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Jul 13, 2021.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

CDEC8E2C-4D39-4E4C-86DE-1EA1FDAFB19A.jpeg D08D650C-6E98-40D5-BCF1-883016F228BE.jpeg 908FD6A6-B8BD-45ED-9A3C-B2ABFE78131C.jpeg 0A1DC3D8-5340-46AB-98CF-995B0A57249E.jpeg 908FD6A6-B8BD-45ED-9A3C-B2ABFE78131C.jpeg 3F37A9E0-97D3-45AC-8762-F1EE1D525704.jpeg 23E8C1EB-CA48-4DE6-BF60-7026E3B1D792.jpeg Hello lovely VFG experts!

I have a few gorgeous vintage bags I'd like some help with pretty please.

First up is this (I presume) Chinese vintage purse. Super pretty with either a genuine jade jadeite stone or something similar/a copy.

I have had a look around t web and though there is a lot of information I am still not sure of it's authenticity. I did use a metal knife which did not scratch it and when I rubbed it against glass it did scratch the glass-eek! I suppose the colour makes me uncertain, since it is quite opaque.

I would also love some help with dating. I can tell you in came in a lot with items dating from the 1930s to 1960s. Including a Jacqmar propaganda scarf!

There is another bag which I would like some help with, it is a needlework bag with gilt filigree mount which actually oddly may also be Chinese, I would have taken it for Western (UK, US) but when looking up the Jade purse I found lots very similar to the needlework one.

Attached Files:

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Little bump

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Oooo, a Jacqmar propoganda scarf?! Score!

Nothing about this serene bag is familiar to me, but I could say the fabric might be made of dobby weave silk or silk and cotton faille. The interior looks like anything from the 1930s through the early 60s to me. (Big help!)

GemGem likes this.
  4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm seeing a cotton or silk faille, too - for the body of the purse but the decorative inserts might be hand woven -and look more like cotton to me. I have no idea about the origin. I don't see Chinese as much as maybe Thai or Indian. (Not my area of expertise.) I "doubt" that the clasp is real jade or jadeite but again - I have no idea. Style wise maybe '50s - '60s.

All guesses. It's a great piece.

GemGem likes this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thank you both so much! Always a pleasure to read your experience n expertise. The two other purses it came with, one I have positively identified as circa 30s as it’s a finger micro bead purse with classic pattern of the 30s. The other is a tapestry/needlepoint bag ( large stitch) with a gilt frame. I will make another thread about that one, hopefully it will give some clues too!

6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I'm actually wondering if it is Nephrite green jade? There seems to be a lot of variation but it's the closest I have come to identifying it. I have looked at various other semi precious stones too as many are confused with Jade or mis sold as Jade.

natural nephrite jade.jpg